• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

marijuana????

Mr Michel

For Mr Michel:

My thoughts at this time are that marijuana should have the same legal status as alcohol.
That being said, if it we’re legal, the act of smoking it would have to be restricted to some of the same laws as cigarette smoking. Not inside public buildings, and not in the immediate presence of children. I guess that gets a little tougher to define. I certainly don’t think tokeing up at the dinner table with junior in the highchair next to you is a good idea. Not that anybody here would argue that point, but how you define when and where it’s legal becomes a stickler. I’d like to think people would have common sense enough to not subject children to such things, but I know that’s just not feasible in this world. Hell, it’s illegal and people are subjecting kids to it anyway. So why not make it legal?

Motokid said:
For Mr Michel:

My thoughts at this time are that marijuana should have the same legal status as alcohol.
That being said, if it we’re legal, the act of smoking it would have to be restricted to some of the same laws as cigarette smoking. Not inside public buildings, and not in the immediate presence of children. I guess that gets a little tougher to define. I certainly don’t think tokeing up at the dinner table with junior in the highchair next to you is a good idea. Not that anybody here would argue that point, but how you define when and where it’s legal becomes a stickler. I’d like to think people would have common sense enough to not subject children to such things, but I know that’s just not feasible in this world. Hell, it’s illegal and people are subjecting kids to it anyway. So why not make it legal?

This point of view leads to all kinds of interesting questions:

--Should it be okay, then, to get stoned at lunchtime and go back to work? Generally an employer will tolerate the occassional boozy lunch, even treat for it. Should the same apply to pot?

--How much is too much? If you sit around all day getting stoned, can someone take your kids away from you?

--If you smoke in the presence of other people and get them stoned without their consent, are you liable for their stoned actions?

--If smoking pot is found to cause cancer, should it be illegal again?

The whole issue of secondary smoke that so concerns you regarding tobacco applies to pot equally, doesn't it? I think you're in direct contradiction of your own view here, i.e., why should only kids be exempt from a pot smoker's second-hand smoke?

responce to novella

I realize I contradict myself. That’s why I put the disclaimer that they were my views at this particular time. I can change my views any time I want. That’s another reason for asking the questions I ask. I want more information. Mr_Michel asked me where I stood. So I told him.

The laws on marijuana are hypocritical in my eyes. If alcohol and cigarettes are legal, I believe pot should be too. That’s my opinion if I must put it in black and white. There are certainly plenty of people on this earth that will abuse whatever privileges they get. But it doesn’t make sense to me to restrict the masses because of the minority. Hell, some kid just died during a college fraternity “hazing” stunt where he gulped down some insane amount of water. We can’t outlaw stupidity can we? I don’t think if marijuana became legal the increased consumption rate of it would send the country into a munchie feeding frenzy, it’s so readily available to anybody when it’s illegal. It appears it would only help the country if the laws where changed.

Nothing in excess, all things in moderation….

Wonder how many of those legislators wear suspenders -- you never can trust those darned newfangled belt thingies!

We need a thread on how to punish our law makers for wasting our money.

Anyway, all the precedents set forth by alcohol and tobacco would certainly apply.

Motokid said:
I don’t think if marijuana became legal the increased consumption rate of it would send the country into a munchie feeding frenzy, it’s so readily available to anybody when it’s illegal. It appears it would only help the country if the laws where changed.

yeah, cool!! :rolleyes: then they can put taxes on it and make double the prize!!

since fickleminded brought up legalizing drugs I figured I go back and re-read this thread...kinda funny to go back to an old thread and witness the direction changes some of these things take...

...and re-reading honeydevil's last post I have to ask if that was a sarcastic jab or what...hard to tell after over a month now...

Moto, another good thread! Keep 'em coming. I received a special job status at work which requires random drug testing, so I must forego my few "hits" on friday and saturday nights. It sort of pisses me off that enjoying a relatively harmless pleasure can now cost me my livelihood, and thusly home, car, so on...(jobs with my skill are far and few between in this area...) Thanks, Uncle Sam :mad:
That said, I think the main danger of marijuana is when teens smoke in their early adult "formative" stage. This is the time when career plans begin being laid, college, trade school, or whatever. Important decisions are being made at this time. I know there are some younger ones on the forum who may disagree, but if you're in a literary forum, you're probably ABOVE average in intelligence and judgement. Think back to high school and remember all the kids who got into weed, and ran into problems with attendance, grades, attitude and so on. A tempting, inexpensive vice at the WRONG time in life! I don't see as much danger for a mature adult with a career, to want to enjoy a natural pleasure. Age requirements would be questionable- how difficult is it for a kid to get weed or alcohol even NOW?
I also believe that smoking weed (regardless of age), can lead a lot of people into a "rut", where that person ends up smoking every day. I've been there briefly, and believe me the "pleasure" is replaced by a sort of semi-permanent numbness, which can also affect job performance and social skills.
As far as actual legalization, I myself would like it, and as mentioned above, when the pharmaceutical researchers begin competing for quality and cost, WATCH OUT! Look at the thousand varieties and qualities of alcoholic beverages that they've come up with! The backyard growers with their innovative hybrids won't stand a chance. Who knows what the pricing structure will develop into? I'm guessing expensive, initially, then cheaper over the years. But keep in mind that competition will still be the name of the game.
I'm not really convinced of the WISDOM of legalising it yet as there're so many factors to consider. Would home growing then be legal for "your own use"? Who knows...

There is already a cannabis based drug licensed in the UK. I can't remember when it was first licensed, but I know someone who had it prescribed by his doctor over a year ago. It's not a spray; it comes in capsules

Back