• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Marilynne Robinson

SFG75

NPR has a fascinating story about her writing. The "moralist of the midwest" has written a nmber of books and Home has been getting a lot of rave reviews as of late. I will definitely be looking for her books at the library.

The Death of Adam p. 36

Previously finished reading, in this order, Gilead and then Housekeeping. Now The Death of Adam,
"Whether Darwin himself intended to debunk religion is not a matter of importance, since he was perceived to have done so by those who embraced his views."
Maybe my understanding is incomplete and imperfect. However, to me this is tantamount to saying it did not matter whether Jesus (in Gethsemane) himself intended to commit violence against the ear of the servant of the high priest since he was perceived to have done so by [the sword bearer] who embraced his views. Therefore, tentatively I do not agree. It does matter. Truth does matter. At least I value it; and I believe Marilynne Robinson does as well.

NPR has a fascinating story about her writing. The "moralist of the midwest" has written a nmber of books and Home has been getting a lot of rave reviews as of late. I will definitely be looking for her books at the library.

I need to read Home and Gilead. I have read Housekeeping
and loved it.

I have to chime in that I don't quite abide by pegging her to the midwest. She was born and raised in Sandpoint, Idaho (the town I reside in) and it is definitely not in the Midwest. Housekeeping is set here ("Fingerbone"= Sandpoint)..She has an interesting interveiw in the local magazine a few years back and she still considered her roots to be here.

I have a reader's habit of separating the author from the narrator (old Wayne Boothe fanboy) and never considered Housekeeping as being particalarly 'moralist' in tone. I have heard tho that it is definitely the narrative pitch and themes in Gilead and Home.

---

narrator

For a moment now and then I slip into the fallacy that the voice is the writing. The further I go into Housekeeping, the more I realized this character is extremely odd. In fact sometimes I wondered whether the voice was a living human at all or a child ghost (I decided on "real" human). Also, the only places I saw mentioned in Housekeeping are the state of Montana (and I believe Butte) plus Seattle (besides Fingerbone). The latest fiction book is on its way to me. I pre-ordered for September 1 release. My own "lit." background goes all the way back to my undergraduate philosophy major years 1962-1966 and now, after a lifetime in between, I have the pleasure of re-connecting with my freshman composition professor once again.

Back