• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mark Haddon: The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime

I read this in a few hours as well. It was a really enjoyable book but at the same time rather a sad tale. As regards to the post made by Shade which included some things written by people with Aspergers, I've worked with people with special needs and the ones who had Aspergers did act like that at times. One even had the same way of working out if it would be a good day or not.

It is great and I would recommend it to anyone who wants an easy but fascinating book to read.

I liked this book for a quick easy read as well and I liked Christpher's perspective. I don't have a lot of experience with these type of disorders so I don't know how accurate the portrayal is but I thought he did a good job.

Hi Ronny, glad you liked the book.

I found the book was very sentimental. Considering that the narration is from a boy who has no sense of emotions, the book touches you. Isn't it?

I thought so, there were many times in the book were I wanted to try and comfort Christopher in some way.

Well, yes. I too felt bad for him. But, I sympathise more with his dad.
He took care of Christopher so well and for one small mistake (which is big in the eyes of Christopher, though), he leaves his dad and goes to his Mom. That makes me wonder -- Christopher reacted so strongly when his dad killed the dog, but didn't question why his Mom left him! Weird!
I absolutely loved the ending. It ends with the right note.

I have to say I disagree with you there, Sanyuja. To me it wasn't a "small mistake."

I don't think it was even ever a really small mistake. He just let a terrible lie snowball into complete deception. And even though Mr. Boone responsibley cared for his son this deception
deprived his son of his mother

I did feel bad for Mr. Boone when he was desperate in the end and I appreciate that he demonstrated honesty when he
confessed to killing Wellington
. But anyone who lied like that would have to deal with the consequential destruction of trust in their relationship, so I dont feel too bad for him.

I loved this book. The author clearly has an insight into Asperger Syndrome. I work with pupils with AS and it was like listening to them speak. It really helps people get inside the mind of someone with AS and my daughter found it helpful for understand the child I was working with better than me trying to explain it (she was 9 at the time I think when she read it)

I just finished this book, and I thought that it was great. The narrative was extremely compelling - it was so interesting to see what kind of things go on in the mind of people with this syndrome, and I have heard that this is an extremely accurate description of what really does go on in the mind of someone with AS.

I loved the way that the book was set out, with one chapter of plot and then one chapter explaining some of his actions within the plot, or justifying something that he has said. It just kept things fresh and interesting. I loved the little footnotes too, I found them highly amusing :D

Definately a recommended read, and it can be read in just a few sittings. One of my favourites this year.

the book is definetly not for children. I read it last summer, and I liked it, and then my mum had to tell me that the principal character was ill, or I-don't-know-what-to-call-it. So I think I must read some books again when I'm older or I won't catch the full meaning of the stories.

I liked this book. I have to disagree and say that I think (older) children would benefit from it, if only to teach them to be more tolerant of people with Asperger's syndrome, and other illnesses.

My son has just read it and loved it. He is 11 and has mild autism. I just asked him and he thinks that it's suitable for ages 8 to adult.

I think that he enjoyed reading about someone else who also sees things in a different from the norm. :)

I read it a while ago, its a great book and it was a really good read.
I learnt alot from reading it, I reckon its a good read for any age, focusing on late teens/adults.

Thanks
Sam

There was a great parody of The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night Time or however it is punctuated. Its called the curious incident of the weapons of mass destruction. Like Dog in The Night Time, it is written in a simple , first person narrative - of Tony Blair! The cover boasts that it can be read in 45 mins, and I recommend it to anyone who liked the Dog in the Night Time.

nera115 said:
the book is definetly not for children.

Er, yes it is. :rolleyes:

And I suppose all those kids reading Harry Potter are ahead of their years too because its what grown-ups read these days?

This book has a really interesting premise that will get you in, if you don't get impatient with all the digressions and somewhat irrelevent (for lack of a better word) asides peppering the main plot. It's a pretty quick read and I enjoyed it, but it's been sort of wrecked for me on account of having to dissect it to death as a book study in school. Nevertheless - a really interesting read.

the book is very left wing, which raises some eyebrows as to why it has won so many awards. I enjoyed the book, although after a few chapters the interest in the person's life faded. I would not have batted an eyelid had he been beaten to death with a spade. Maybe im just horrible.

I read this book on holiday. It is a very quick and easy read, and even although the plot is predictable it is still an enjoyable book. :)

Great audio book

I listened to this book in its audio format and it was great! You miss out on all the diagrams and lists in the paper version, but the narration makes it worth it.

oh i read this book. it wasn't what i expected even though i didn't hear much about it to begin with. i found it rather interesting

Back