• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Martin! you are a BAD man!

Okay people, enough of this childish gibberish. Let's get back on thread here. Ahem ;)

I let myself get sucked into just ebaying myself a hardback copy of HOL. It's not just the storyline itself that sounds fascinating but the layout of the book and the history of how the author wrote it.

This is one that I can't wait to get my claws on and want to thank everyone concerned for pointing it out.

RaVeN

The story line of House of Leaves is the only good thing about it; it really was a good idea, to begin with. The way it is written ruins it, the kitsch. He stole the idea of writing it that way--footnotes, margin notes, and every other incondite device he could think of--from David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest.

warm_enema said:
The story line of House of Leaves is the only good thing about it; it really was a good idea, to begin with. The way it is written ruins it, the kitsch. He stole the idea of writing it that way--footnotes, margin notes, and every other incondite device he could think of--from David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest.

That's because Mark Danielewski is actually the pen of Dan Brown.
Either that or Wallace is the pen name for Umberto Eco, I forget which. :D

RaVeN

Shirley Umberto Eco huh? Well that certainly explains a few things!

NOW who's the foolish one Phil? :D

RaVeN

Shirley Umberto Eco huh? Well that certainly explains a few things!
I have this book, it's a book with all kinds of jokes in it. That one right there was the oldest one in it.

Kudos, RaVeN!

Cheers, Martin :D

Im not foolish, and dont call me Shirley :)

Damn i love that film :D

'But surely you cant be serious!!'

'I am serious, and dont call me Shirley'

Genius :D

Phil

Martin said:
I have this book, it's a book with all kinds of jokes in it. That one right there was the oldest one in it.

Kudos, RaVeN!

Cheers, Martin :D

As I'm sure you'll agree, it was nothing...nothing at all.

Now for my next trick, I'd like to pull a Wabbit out of Phil's ass.

Nothing up my sleeve....... :eek:

RaVeN

I thought I'd heard of this book somewhere

I posted on it about a yr ago on another forum:

My post

House of Leaves
by Mark Z. Danielewski? (was recommended this earlier)

Has anyone here read this? Has over 400 reviews on amazon.com, and over 40 on amazon.co.uk. Looks nice and different, and the exerpt on amazon.com seemed intriguing, if a little unengaging.

Just guaging what other people think of the book before buying it (but will have a look in the library)

I later got these replies:

VERY strange, fluffy, and frankly would be surprised if you could get it in the library.

Some have called it a book with style over content, some parts of it is clearly as a joke (look at the index references!) but it is..unsettling.

Didn't like it that much myself, but there are things in there that you remember.

Don't look too much for a direct plot, though.... as you said I couldn't really engage with the main character.

But there are some out there that love it!

I tried. I gave up, because I found it to be rather dull. Just never picked up for me.

Our public library does have a copy, so it may be possible to scrounge it up there.

I enjoyed it and thought it was pretty spooky. The pomo trappings did go a bit overboard, but it was interesting to see an experimental horror novel where the experimental aspects actually helped to tell the story more effectively. And don't try to find much deep meaning in it -- at heart it's just a haunted house story that wants to be loved.

Lemme know what you lot think- now I'm thinking of giving it another chance

And if you save half the book, when you shit it out you can use it for toilet paper!

Regards
Silly ( practical ) Wabbit

PS: Actually, I won't eat it as I want to read it! Very hard to read stuff that's a brown smellly good :D

Back