• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Marvel: Stephen King's The Stand

Libra6Poe

Interesting.
MARVEL PUBLISHING TAKES THE STAND
image1.jpg

The Stand Sketchbook - FREE

This past Wednesday, I went to the comic book store to pick up the last Dark Tower comic book (The Long Road Home) and saw this:
4095new_storyimage4844913_thumb.jpg

Picked it up too, it was free after all.
There are some sketches of Frannie, Stu, Trashcan Man, Larry, Harold... I personally don't like how Stu looks, but everyone else looks good.

The first issue will be titled: The Stand: Captain Trips #1
Out September 10, 2008

Wow - looks great! It really does capture the gorey grossness of Captain Trips! :lol:
I think I should reread The Stand. It's been awhile and I don't remember what the effects of Captain Trips was like.
I'm pretty psyched about this comic. 3 issues seems very short though.

Part 3 of 3 for Marvel's THE STAND adaptation! Quint interviews writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa plus a special surprise...

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: Truly, my only agenda is to be as faithful as possible; to that end, I’m taking as few liberties as I can. Of course, consciously or subconsciously, you skew a certain way; it’s inevitable.

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa: Mike’s a complete professional, and The Stand—and I think he’ll agree with me on this point—is the work of his career. His storytelling is impeccable; he’s great with action as well as with the subtler character moments; truly, there isn’t an emotion he can’t capture.

First page:

StandIsh1.jpg

See the 2nd and 3rd page of the first issue in the link provided above.
I'm totally excited and the interviews with the writer and artist make it sound great (better than The Dark Tower comics)

I just read it yesterday and it was very good. I've only read The Stand once and that was four years ago. I'd been meaning to read it again - but there are just so many books on my to-be-read pile, not to mention all the school books I have to read as well. So this comic is a great way to revisit the places, characters, events of The Stand. It's off to an excellent start and looks like the rest of the series will not disappoint.

The Stand: Captain Trips #2 of 5

The Stand: Captain Trips #2 of 5

Came out Wednesday. In this issue:
Stu
is held captive and tested by the military. Asks what is going on. He is informed that all his friends are dead.
Larry
"ain't no nice guy."
Frannie
tells her dad that she's pregnant.
Nick
is beaten up. Wakes up in jail. Befriends the sheriff.
Stu
dreams of RF.

If you've read The Stand, these aren't spoilers. This comic book stays very true to the novel. It may not sound very interesting, but I assure you, if you're like me and have not read The Stand in years, you will love it. As I said in a previous post, it's a great retelling and a nice way to visit all the old characters. I absolutely love this series. Each issue is packed with story. Unlike the Dark Tower comic where I feel like I spent $4 on a few sentences.

:star4:

The Stand: Captain Trips #3 of 5
Came out last month.
So, more little things happening to each major character.
The government takes extreme measures to cover up the "flu."

At the end there is an interview with Marvel Senior Editor Ralph Macchio (not the Karate Kid). You can read this interview/article on Marvel.com

There are some pretty good questions:
*How closely are you working with King himself? What is his role in the process?
*The definitive, uncut version of the novel "The Stand" takes place in the early '90s. Are you preserving that time period, or updating it to the late '00s?

This was fairly a good issue as well. Not action-packed, but definitely setting things up for something big.
:star3:

The Stand: Captain Trips #4 of 5
Came out today.

Better issue than the last. The Super Flu/Captain Trips has infected those who are close to the main characters (Frannie's mother, Larry's mother...). More people are dying and everyone is more suspicious of the government, "It's spooky, Larry. People are saying the army got careless with one of those little plague jars..."

:star4:

Back