• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Matthew Reilly

I read different books for different reasons. Sometimes I want to get really drawn into a story, and other times, I just want something that I don't have to think to hard about.

angerball said:
I just want something that I don't have to think to hard about.

So, you are saying Matthew Reilly is below a Sudoku book in literary merit? I'll drink to that!

I've just. Paid! A visit! POW! CRASH! To. Matthew! Reilly's site?

And, in March of this year, he made a classic statement regarding his new novel, Seven Ancient Wonders. Here it is:

The book deals with a desperate hunt to find the remnants of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World and is, well, pretty big, easily the biggest-in-scale book I've ever written.

The remnants of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World? His new Indiana-Jones-like character - named Jack West Jr. - might have a problem finding any remnants of that Great Pyramid at Giza since it dominates the skyline!

Then, oblivious to the joke, Reilly tells us about his 100 page novella, Hell Island:

t's part of the (excellent) Australian Government initiative called Books Alive. Earlier this year, I was commissioned by the Australia Council to write a 100-page novella that will be given to readers for free in August of this year when they purchase one of 50 recommended "great read" novels.

Yes, Matthew, it's being given away for free because you are nowhere near being a "great read".

Reading through this man's thoughts is a frightening prospect. What worries me even moreso is that he might already be here under a pseudonym given that his review of Metallica: Some Kind of Monster echoes the thoughts of so many here. His review?

One word: AWESOME.

EDIT: Sigh! In the October entry, Reilly tells us that he's excited about the release of Seven Ancient Wonders. Apparently, it's the first book he has read with complex booby traps in it. What shit does he read?

It now seems obvious that the UK doesn't really like Matthew Reilly and his small penis/big gun hangup. National free news rag, Metro, has teamed up with Reilly's UK publisher, PanMacmillan, to offer 10,000 copies of poor piece, Scarecrow, to the first 10,000 UK applicants in the next 28 days.

If he was any good, of course, they wouldn't have 10,000 copies to give away - and certainly not for free.

Still, if you like your books with sweaty men and improbable situations then you could enter this "competition" to get a free book. Aspiring writers may also apply so that they can learn how not to do it.

If you actually like this piece of shit then, cynically, Reilly's next book, Seven Ancient Wonders, isn't far off publication. WHOOP! FLOP!

Get yer copy here...

The reviews of Matthew Reilly's Seven Ancient Wonders features some excellent reviews from his disillusioned fans:

the book is aimed at adults yet here is a list of some of the character names

Wizard
Big Ears
Noddy
Stretch
Pooh Bear

Bam! Kapow! Ping! Crack! Zing!

Every now and then an astonishing book is published. This is one of those. For all the wrong reasons unfortunately as this monstrosity of a book proves beyond all doubt that it is possible to insult the intelligence of a six-year old.

I saw this book in the bestseller lists and the blurb sounded interesting - treasure, religious societies, adventure... Good stuff thought I. I didn't expect it to be deep or meaningful or anything. Just readable. A good thriller - a bit farfetched but believable.

I was disappointed on all counts.

Luckily I didn't buy it full price but saw a copy at a charity shop whilst it was still in the bestseller list, hardly touched for £2.99!!!

Wow!!!

Bargain!!!

I was wrong.

With a writing style that is reminiscent of the "What I did during summer" essay's you had to write at school, this is without doubt the poorest book I have ever, ever read.

The author is incredibly lazy, choosing not to describe anything in depth, but allow onomatapeia or a few single words to take over. (Describing an explosion he uses these words "Fireball. Explosion. Dustcloud"). He has not constructed a story, but evidently as a kid drew some treasure maps with traps on them and based his story around them. Poorly.

His prediliction for having exotic pieces of equipment but poorly described is laughable. "It was an M-113 TBV-MV". What?!!! (Oh, and by the way Mr. Reilly, merely putting a word or sentence in italics and adding exclamation marks does not build tension. Oh sorry. !!!!!!.

In all Roger Hargreaves' Mr. Bump offers more in the way of plot AND character development than this. What am I saying? Development? The characters are so cardboard that if it rained they would dissolve.

Poorly researched, beyond fantasy (a sniper continually shooting down in flight RPG's is just downright insulting) this book is the funniest thing I have read since the reviews on the back of the book. But not as insulting as the line [he was] "Very Irish, hence very Catholic". I'm sure the troubles in Northern Ireland were all a laugh then.

The publishers should be ashamed that this even reached their desks. The proof-reading obviously worked.

It is truly awful drivel which would appeal mostly to fairly literate 13 year old boys with a gun fetish.
how do you expect anyone to believe all of a sudden we can find all of the seven wonders, that traps set by ancient Egyptians still function after thousands of years, that wooden parapets made over two thousand years ago are still usable and the most insulting of all, that a Boeing 747 can be made to behave like a Harrier jet or helicopter and fly around the world undetected?
I cannot remember ever reading such utter dirge. It got to the point where I had to continue reading in the hope that there was some hidden joke behind it all, but sadly not - it really is that bad!

With almost no characterisation whatsoever and a plot so insane that you find it hard to believe what you are reading, you have to think that the publisher is taking the Mickey.

That said, it is generally harmless enough stuff, and if you have a twelve year old you don't mind exposing to the odd swear word, then this book is pitched at exactly that level. If you are over that age though, for pity's sake, save your money!
The action feels either bland and repetitive, with repeated running through ancient traps that are sub-Indiana Jones, or so over the top, such as rolling a Parisian double decker bus, that it defies belief
The science ... oh boy ... the science, and the engineering. Blimey, if Boeing could actually make a 747 do what one does here ... never mind the ultra-drivel about suspots, or about 'warbler' technology that 'magnetically' diverts bullets ... and there's more. Much more.
This book Makes Clive Cussler look like a literary genius!
Then, of course, are the ones for which this thread was intended - the five star reviews:
Unless you are a die-hard realism fan, you will NOT be let down.
I know that this book has taken a slating from some people, but their complaints about lack of character development and unbelievable storylines/weapons/technologies are just silly. Since when has the writer ever produced those things before? I have read every book of his since they came out, and the whole point of his books is to provide blistering action, imaginative plots and storylines, and allow yourself to immerse into the book without having to concentrate on whether it is 'believable'. The added element of Indiana Jones-style traps and twists in the plot-line only add to its brilliance. Great book definately recommend buying it, if you prefer the usual Riley blockbuster!
This book does indeed have a few farfetched ideas within it, but it is action packed, an easy read and fun. The book answers any questions that you may have as they are all explained within it. Some of the book is based on fact but it is the very bottom base line of the story. I would recommend this book to anyone who is willing to read something fun and original. The basic story is that there are a two big rivil groups trying to find a golden capstone and there is one other group trying to stop them. They travel to the location of the Seven Ancient Wonders Of The World and escape traps,quick sand and many other things. A GREAT READ!!!
If you want a book packed full of action, a book that is fast-paced, has an abundance of nail-biting situations, all sorts of historical traps and is an easy to read no brainer, then this is the book for you. Just like all of his previous novels, Matthew Reilly has the ability to drag you right into the action and immerse you in his writing. I have never been disappointed with any of his books and would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to read but not have to concentrate to hard! Great stuff!
And, last but not least:
I had never even heard of Matthew Reilly (I'm British, just moved to NZ, where he's huge), before my cousin in Australia got this book for Christmas. I read the blurb, and thought WOW! Then she read it in 2 days. So when I got back, I got it. I thought that I'd never be able to read it in 2 days. I read it in less than 24 hours. Why?

Everything about this book is incredible. It has an amazing plot. A brave, tough, Non- American (Half, and forsaking them anyway) hero. Dastardly villains. Subtle hints to other things, and whats more, some of it's actually believable (Unlike the Da Vinci Code).

If this was to be done as a film, then Indiana Jones had better watch out.

Words can't show how cool this book is, so buy it, if you loved conspiracy theories that are believable, and love Andy McNab or Dan Brown.

Shade said:
Actually I see Robert's reading it at the minute. Maybe he can enlighten us on which reviews to believe.

The shot at the characters names is nothing more then a cheap shot since Seven Deadly Wonders is a work of fiction, comments about improbable situations is a bit out of bounds as well.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I haven’t had a lot of time with the book, as I’ve very busy as late. What I’ve read so far, the story is decent enough but everything said about his poor writing is on the money.
<o:p></o:p>
Phil T mentioned earlier in this thread that his books “read more like a Hollywood action film than a book.” This seems to be an accurate assessment of this book as well. Since this story has no depth, it could be taken to the silver screen with little effort. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
That said, if you like a fast paced story and can turn a blind eye to the poor writing and lack of character development, then you might enjoy this book.

Thanks Robert. A lot of popular writers have the accusation levelled at them (no doubt accurately in many cases), as you suggest here, that the book reads like a first draft for the Hollywood script. But if Reilly is writing with this aim in mind, has it worked, ie have any of his books actually been adapted?

Shade said:
Thanks Robert. A lot of popular writers have the accusation levelled at them (no doubt accurately in many cases), as you suggest here, that the book reads like a first draft for the Hollywood script. But if Reilly is writing with this aim in mind, has it worked, ie have any of his books actually been adapted?

I don't know if any of his books have been adapted. I would have to say that if his target audience are readers that like a fast paced action packed story, then he has hit his mark dead on.

Shade said:
But if Reilly is writing with this aim in mind, has it worked, ie have any of his books actually been adapted?

He's directing the adaptation of his first novel, Contest. The self-published one.

I finished the book and have little to add to my initial evaluation. A little research in two specific areas of technology would have been very helpful.

I think so little of his writing that if not for my interest in the story, it's doubtful that I would have finished the book.

Back