• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

medicate or not to medicate

jenn

as some of you may know i just got over strep throat,(still waiting for the get well soon cards, thanks). i was just chit-chatting with my sister-in-law who is furious that her doctor just prescribed penicillin to my niece who just came down with strep. she got quite huffy with me when i said that i too was still taking pen for my infection, and was glad to have it, thank you very much. she was upset that doctors (in her words) throw prescriptions at every little problem. she feels that most infections clear up on their own without aid.
now for me, i only go to the doctor when i feel that things are not improving and i need some medical assistance. even with my kids i am hesitant to drag them to the clinic for a fever or rash, because more often then not, stuff clears up on it's own. i was left wondering why she even bothered taking her daughter to the doctor if not for medicine?
for me if i am sick enough to go to the doctor then i feel just fine about taking presciptions.
do you think our society is overly medicated?

It's a very interesting point you've raised.

On the one hand I do believe that society in general has been way to dependant on anti-biotics in the past, however I also believe what's the point in modern medicine if it's not going to be used. I think the main consideration needs to be the severity of the infection & the implications of treating as opposed to no treatment.

With something like a throat infection, you are talking about affecting someone's ability to eat & drink, which therefore means it probably makes more sense to medicate. I think alot of the backlash towards medicating comes more from the fact some people expect for every little cough, cold, earache etc & that's when we are in serious danger of underusing our natural immune system & leaving ourselves open to all kinds of horrendous superbugs.

Just my opinion though

P.S hope you feel better soon *Sar does dance of get-better-soon-ness*

I wait until it's really bad or if i can't get sick (like if i have an upcoming trip) before getting medication.

I think you should be able to discuss the benefits of medication with your doctor. I've had a prescription or two which I was to use if my symptoms did not improve in a couple of days. I guess I was to use my own feelings as a guide to whether or not I needed extra help in the germ-fighting department. It worked for me, especially as I'm not usually a fan of taking too much medication.

As to your friend, however, I echo Sar's question of why she took her daughter to the doctor at all if not to receive some kind of treatment.

I think some people think that most illnesses will solve themselves, but if you show no sign of improvement I think it makes sense to seek some kind of aid. I think the reaction of some people is compounded by the fact that they may not understand the difference between a virus and a bacterial infection.
  • A bacterial infection is caused by organisms (bacteria) that are capable of multiplying by themselves. For this reason, an antibiotic is often used to help fight the infection. An example is strep throat (caused by the bacteria 'streptococcus').
  • A virus, on the other hand, must occupy a 'host' cell and control it's functions in order to generate more virus particles, as they cannot multiply by themselves. In these cases the body is usually left to defeat the virus using its own immune system. An example of a virus might be influenza.

Most people shrug off a sore throat as nothing, especially as in only 5 - 10% of cases it is actually caused by bacteria. However it must be recognised that strep throat, if left untreated, can lead to more dangerous illnesses. It is also contagious, so if you intend to keep working, going to school or have family that may catch it, one must think about the most responsible thing to do to protect others. Apparently after 1 - 3 days of antibiotics it is no longer contagious.

Good distinction to make Kookamoor.

I'm not certain of this Jenn, of course, how could I be, not knowing your sister in law? But there's a general phenomena to our information chock world where people hear or learn of a theory and then totally missapply it; and this sounds like that to me.

I do think I recall reading that we are becoming penicillin resistant in the USA, but that's because people don't finish the medication, not because it is prescribed to begin with. It's incredibly important to always finish the antibiotic treatment even when one starts feeling better.

But the real problem is taking antibiotics for viral infections. Not sure why the doctors prescribe them, but they do, maybe for secondary problems or something to that effect, and probably at least partially because ignorant patients demand they "do something!".

I don't bother doctors with something clearly viral, like the flu. I try to get an immunization when they are available. Or once infected, I drink all sorts of noxious teas and things (ginger and chili powder for one) and just generally baby myself, and mainline Nyquil to get some quality sleep.

For an ear problem or a really severe sore throat (one I think is strep) then I suck it up and go to a doctor, even though I loathe having to do it.

Pencillin, as are all antibiotics, overprescribed, but that does not mean they are not necessary for some things. Slacker is right that many people stop taking them too soon, which, in part, also leads to antibiotic-resistance. The other part is prescribing the drugs when they're not needed. ie viral infection. Colds and flu are viral, thus, antibiotics won't help them. However, your infection, as is your niece's, is bacterial. It makes complete sense to prescribe, and take, an antibiotic for this infection.

Your sister-in-law sounds half mad...why take a child to the doctor and then get mad about the treatment. What did she want him to do...perform a little dance ritual?

Am I correct in thinking that strep can develop into an even nastier infection if left untreated? I learned years ago to do the flashlight-throat check to see if my kids' sore throats were simple colds or allergy attacks. Strep infections usually are marked by white spots visible in the throat.
I'm all for herbal remedies, if one is careful-ie-read several sources and don't over do any of them. I had to laugh at the idea of the doctor performing a dance ritual..my oldest dd loves to tease me whenever I'm telling someone to try this herb or that, and she'll say, "Did you tell them they have to dance naked in the moonlight too?" ;0)

VTChEwbecca said:

Your sister-in-law sounds half mad...why take a child to the doctor and then get mad about the treatment. What did she want him to do...perform a little dance ritual?

don't get me started on her. she could be her own forum. i said just as much to her.

My sister in law took her children to the doctor, and the doctor told her their blood fat was throught the roof. He then told her she needed to make them eat more vegetables. She just got another doctor. Kill the messenger.

I think you are wise to take the meds. Strep is a pretty nasty bacteria. Although rare, strep can worsen and spread to other organs. I have a friend who had his kidneys attacked as a young child. He wasn't treated early enough and went into renal failure. He luckily got a kidney transplant when we were in Jr High, but it is something he will take anti rejection drugs for his entire life. Of course it is super important to finish all of the meds, but I'm sure you already know that.

Back