• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

MEG Series

The Butcher

Has anyone read one of the most famous Sci-Fi books of all time!?

It's about a former Navy sub pilot that went to the Mariana Trench then thought he saw the extinct Shark called the Megladon. A famous person called Masao Tanaka,wanted Jonas Taylor to go down the the Mariana Trench again to fetch a sub,then a Meg(Nickname for a Megladon) comes and surfaces,and Jonas has to catch the beast.

Are you ready for Comedy and action that never stops?Then this is a book for you!

I'll post the titles later once I can post images.

I've seen them in bookstores. Never read any as I'm not into sci-fi lit very much these days. I think there was supposed to be a film adaptation some time ago.

Here are the books in order:
23s7vbk.jpg

aimg1.fantasticfiction.co.uk_images_n1_n5277.jpg

amedia.us.macmillan.com_jackets_500H_9780765347855.jpg

a2.bp.blogspot.com__4OYGjUrdllo_ShhVmb16NGI_AAAAAAAAV7s_LhLVVacf85b2a65f4daf6a4ed82a1abae575c7.png

I stumbled across this old thread and thought it sounded like a good relaxing Big Dumb Fun read, so I just started Meg - A Novel Of Deep Terror. I'm 20 pages in and I think I've already figured out who's the love interest, what's happened to the hero and what's going to happen in the rest of the book - it's that front-loaded with exposition for no really good in-story reason. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. But I shall soldier on. Always moving forward.

It's fascinating how supposedly tough adult characters can sound like emo teenagers one second and like biology textbooks the next. It's almost as if Steve Alten cribbed every section about marine biology straight from some other source and added dialogue tags. Of course, we know he didn't because he occasionally throws in some ideas that are completely off the wall or just plain wrong.

Still, I like how everyone is obsessed by giant ancient sharks even before we have the slightest hint that there might be giant ancient sharks around. It just keeps coming up in casual conversation. That's foresight, innit.

"Commander, why must you do anything? Since when does the United States Navy concern itself with the behavioral pattens of a fish?"

Oh noes! If they don't stop the giant shark, it could disrupt the whales' migratory pattern! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Anything but that!

They're hunting the shark now! It's so exciting!

"The bifocal night glasses penetrated the dark, improving light amplification by using a coating of gallium arsenide on the photocathode revealing the quickly moving behemoths as they rose up and down along the surface of the Pacific."

Or in other words, "the night glasses made it easy to see the whales." Aquablue, is this you writing?

The shark just ate the fucking
Nautilus
. This is the greatest book in the history of [-]man[/-]fishkind.

Mental note: If you ever find yourself trying to capture a giant shark, only get in the water with it if the narrator has established you as a thoroughly Nice Guy. Sharks eat bad people. Also, if one of your relatives or friends suddenly shows up without ever having been mentioned before, tell them to stay on land. (Not that they'll be safe on land either, I guess.)

I think I may have heard of it in connection with the Shark Attack 3: Megalodon movie. Which has a well-deserved reputation as being utter crap.

Nothing like Jaws,or the Shark Attack movies.More scientific,plus more action and better plot.

It is, in fact, exactly like the Shark Attack movie. OK, maybe with slightly fewer gratuitous sex scenes. The prose is awful, the "scientific" bits read as if someone just ripped a few pages out of Marine Biology For Dummies and inserted into the text, the characters are so one-dimensional it's no wonder the shark never manages to eat her fill of them, and the plot... what plot? But it's a SHARK THAT EATS SUBMARINES AND FLIES THROUGH THE AIR TO SNATCH PEOPLE OFF BOATS. I laugh, and I laugh, and I laugh, and I love the book to little bitty pieces.

So
how were the sharks able to survive in the trench, i.e., what did they eat? I am pretty sure real megs ate whales.

Inquiring minds want to know.

So
how were the sharks able to survive in the trench, i.e., what did they eat? I am pretty sure real megs ate whales.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Good question (as is the question of how
they remained unchanged, eyesight and all, for millions of years in the dark). Someone actually raises the food question to our intrepid hero, and his response is basically "That's a good question." I've heard rumours that later books in the series reveal that there are kronosaurs in the trench too - yes, reptiles at 11,000 metres - so I guess they ate those.

Well I doubt I will read the book, but I am having a ball reading the commentary about the book.

Carry on.

Back