• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Memorizing a Book (Non-Fiction)

-Carlos-

Have you ever tried to memorize a book? I'm not saying word-for-word of course: Just the general points in the publication.

Using page numbers in association with mnemonic aids (devices) can make such a task possible. Have you ever done it?

I did that while I was at university, with the textbooks.

Now, if I find something interesting I jot it down in a notebook. Of course that means that I have a collection of notebooks filled with random stuff that I have long forgotton.

Do you do this Aqua?
If so is it just a way to improve memory or are you actively trying to memorize things? (I hope that makes sense).

No, I am not trying to memorize books. I just wanted to know if others had tried doing it or have done it.

Have you ever tried to memorize a book? I'm not saying word-for-word of course: Just the general points in the publication.

Using page numbers in association with mnemonic aids (devices) can make such a task possible. Have you ever done it?

There are two books where I basically have memorized it word for word. During college, I studied very intently for political science. At a certain time, you could've read a given passage in The Communist Manifesto and I would've given you the next couple of lines. That isn't impressive as it's a small read. I could also do that with Tom Paine's Common Sense. Both books were used in more than one course.

As for the basic points of a book, I have sat down with a notepad and took notes after each chapter or after reading what I thought was an important passage. I haven't tried to memorize in my head for any extrinsic reason-if I've memorized the main points of a book or line by line, it has been due to the fact that I was very interested in the book.

On the rare occasion that I use the textbook during teaching my classes, I tend to memorize page numbers and the layout of topics...more by usage than actively attempting to memorize them.

Back