• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Michael Crichton: Prey

Hi all!

I recently found on my bookshelf Prey by Michael Crichton and I had forgotten I had bought it!

Is it worth reading? Please let me know!

Thanks.

tommydarascal

tommydarascal said:
Hi all!

I recently found on my bookshelf Prey by Michael Crichton and I had forgotten I had bought it!

Is it worth reading? Please let me know!

Thanks.

tommydarascal

Leave your brain at the door, and you should be ok. I quite enjoyed it! I'd say you need to do this with all Crichton books! Lol!!!:D:D

It's a pretty typical Crichton read. Not my favorite, but good enough to kiil a couple of hours. I ditto the "put your brain in neutral" sentiment.

curiouswonder said:
It's a pretty typical Crichton read. Not my favorite, but good enough to kiil a couple of hours. I ditto the "put your brain in neutral" sentiment.

There's very little to be gained by reading this book.

There are some interesting ideas for the unitiated regarding the possible uses and development of Nano tech.

Read it, enjoy it, but don't expect it to be one of your all-time greats.

Whaa...???? I'd think it's his techy stuff that make him stand out from the crowd. I mean, I'd like to think that he took an idea and ran with it.

I mean. Let's just say we really did find a mosquito trapped in an amber. The mozzie just happened to have had dinner - dinosaur blood, in fact - before being encased. Wouldn't replicating a dinosour, however remote and far-fetched the possibility, seem (gulp) feasible?

His stories to me has more 'value' to me simply because takes an existing idea or concept, which already exists, expounds on it to form a good story. That is good, for me anyway. He may be wrong - as scientists have reportedly said about the impossibility of Jurassic Park's premise, but it's the foundation of his stories and where he takes them is interesting.

ds

direstraits said:
Whaa...???? I'd think it's his techy stuff that make him stand out from the crowd. I mean, I'd like to think that he took an idea and ran with it.

I mean. Let's just say we really did find a mosquito trapped in an amber. The mozzie just happened to have had dinner - dinosaur blood, in fact - before being encased. Wouldn't replicating a dinosour, however remote and far-fetched the possibility, seem (gulp) feasible?

His stories to me has more 'value' to me simply because takes an existing idea or concept, which already exists, expounds on it to form a good story. That is good, for me anyway. He may be wrong - as scientists have reportedly said about the impossibility of Jurassic Park's premise, but it's the foundation of his stories and where he takes them is interesting.

ds

Ah, maybe i didn't express myself very well. (No change there!) Anyway, what I meant was, I think his books would be better, on an individual basis, if he didn't go into quite so much technical detail. I find it gets in the way of the story, and I have often skipped these parts.

I loved this book - it's one of the only books I've read in one day. A real page turner, full of non-stop action.

I like his technical details too. His book Airframe really interested me, coming from a background of aerospace configuation management. It's such a specialized field, but the book had the basics pretty perfectly. I don't know about Prey though.

direstraits said:
His stories to me has more 'value' to me simply because takes an existing idea or concept, which already exists, expounds on it to form a good story.

ds

i exactly agree with each single word you wrote... just felt Prey is not one of his best... (even nanotechnology great shown)

Its all a matter of what you enjoy

Micheal Crichton is a matter of what you enjoy, I love most of his books because of the science in them and the fact that he does a great job of telling a scene, such as the mob in Prey or the castle in Timeline. But not all of it is appealing, there are a few of his books,, Eaters of the dead I believe that I couldnt stand,, where Rising sun is awesome. Read it and find out, if nothing else he is a bestselling number one author so it shouldnt be too bad of a read

I read Prey and it was okay, I'm not blown away by intricate technological stuff. I did think their security was sadly lacking for such advanced technological research.

Frankly the only one of Crichton's books in the last 10 years or so that I've really liked is Jurassic Park, that knocked my socks off. But when I heard Spielberg was making a movie of it, I knew it would be toned down since so many kids were into dinosaurs at that time and would want to see the movie. If he'd stayed faithful to the book, kids would still be having nightmares. ;)

Miss Shelf said:
I read Prey and it was okay, I'm not blown away by intricate technological stuff.

All the tech stuff just gets in the way imo. Be better without it all.

I thought the tech stuff was good. I mean, I didn't understand half of it, but it made things seem way more realistic. Personally I thought it was an amazing, incredible, mind-blowing book that I love love love.

I like the science and tech stuff, too - appeals to my geeky side. I think Crichton, on the whole, does a good job of including the science while maintaining the pace and flow of the storyline.

Could it be that Crichton knows he's blinding most of us with science? That we'll keep reading in spite of not understanding most of the tech stuff? Kind of like Joyce Carol Oates-not many people understand her but they keep reading and say she's terrific.

Back