• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Michigander, 30 mi from ghetto Detroit

veggiedog

1) I'm not going to track you down shoot you, so stop panicking.

2) I'm an Indian, but have never watched an entire feature length Bollywood movie. The melodrama sometimes just makes me want to puke.

3) :eek: Yes. I see the shock on your face. Unless, of course, you have no idea what Bollywood is...

4) I love the phrase "Stockholm Syndrome." It just gets me all tingly inside.

So, yeah, that's me! I hope you don't mind me barging in on your little community like this...:eek: . Don't be cruel to the newbie!!!!! I'm cool. :cool:

Welcome! I have several friends up in your relative neighborhood. One family is in Scotts, near Kalamazoo, and the others are in the Ann Arbor area.
You may not be so crazy about the whole Bollywood scene, but I have a bunch of kids who love Bend it Like Beckham and they play the soundtrack over and over til I'm ready to hurl:rolleyes:

If you like books and talking about them.. you'll love it here. Enjoy!

veggiedog said:
2) I'm an Indian, but have never watched an entire feature length Bollywood movie. The melodrama sometimes just makes me want to puke.
I've worked with several guys from Bombay (Mumbai after 9 pm) itself, and I can't remember any of them liking Bollywood films either...

StillILearn said:
Hi, veggiedog. What'dya read on your free time? :)

I'm a very picky reader, but have no specific genre I stick to, except I avoid contemporary fiction (I get enough of that in my own life). I'm really not that well-read, considering I'm only a freshman in high school, but I really like intellectual, multi-layered books, as well as books that deal with controversial issues (at least for their setting), such as To Kill a Mockingbird or Fahrenheit 451. My favoirite book of all time in probably The Catcher in the Rye, but I also loved Animal Farm and LOTR. Pride and Prejudice was good too, but Lizzie Bennet was too arrogant a character for me to actually like (I liked Darcy though, for some reason). I'm one of those people who will read a thousand reviews and have at least approx. 20 people I know endorse a book before I attempt to read it. I like both SciFi and Fantasy, but despise rip-offs and books that get so incredibly cheesy that my eyes start to bleed. I'm not so much into mystery or horror anymore, but I used to be (in 7th grade I really loved The Da Vinci Code). I can't read Romance, it tends to make me nauseous.

I'm taking American Lit in school right now, so I don't have much of a base in classic literature outside of that (last year in 8th grade all we read was The Pearl by Steinbeck, which I didn't like at all, Romeo and Juliet, whose characters were kind of emptyheaded, and excerpts of The Odyssey). I tend to judge books by their covers, I'm ashamed to say, but don't we all? I like books that aren't montrously thick (those sorts of books scare me out of my mind, you have no idea, like Clarissa), but I suppose that's sort of generalizing. My types of books are hard to describe. I can just hold a book and tell if its for me or not. I have the book-hunting instinct.

On the nonfiction side, I don't read more than necessary for school and research purposes. I just finished eading Feeakonomics, though, and really liked it.

So, that's me!

BTW, I watched Bend it like Beckham and it wasn't bad. But I must agree it's not exactly Bollywood (not exactly the typical Bollywoodian full-blown musical extravaganza complete with lip-syncing actresses in delectable silk saris and perfectly choreographed spontaneous group dances, is it? :D)

veggiedog said:
BTW, I watched Bend it like Beckham and it wasn't bad. But I must agree it's not exactly Bollywood (not exactly the typical Bollywoodian full-blown musical extravaganza complete with lip-syncing actresses in delectable silk saris and perfectly choreographed spontaneous group dances, is it? :D)

Don't forget all the distorted singing as well....:)

veggiedog said:
4) I love the phrase "Stockholm Syndrome." It just gets me all tingly inside.

Hi veggiedog and welcome to TBF, nice to have you on board.

"Stockholm Syndrome"
describes the behavior of kidnap victims who, over time, become sympathetic to their captors. The name derives from a 1973 hostage incident in Stockholm, Sweden. At the end of six days of captivity in a bank, several kidnap victims actually resisted rescue attempts, and afterwards refused to testify against their captors.

Is this right and what do you love it :confused: :confused: :confused:

cabrasopa said:
"Stockholm Syndrome"
describes the behavior of kidnap victims who, over time, become sympathetic to their captors. The name derives from a 1973 hostage incident in Stockholm, Sweden. At the end of six days of captivity in a bank, several kidnap victims actually resisted rescue attempts, and afterwards refused to testify against their captors.

Is this right and what do you love it :confused: :confused: :confused:

Indeed, you are correct, my friend. It's not so much the event that I find fascinating, but the concept. Imagine being hurt by someone repeatedly, but not caring because you love or respect them or feel sympathetic for them. I'm not saying it's necessarily a good or a bad thing, because it depends on the situation, but I find the basic concept remarkably beautiful and frightening, that you can love someone--your captor, specifically speaking--no matter how much they hurt you. It's hard to describe, but I love the phrase itself, because it holds so much dark meaning, if you know what I'm getting at. It comes to show how complex and haunting human psychology really is.

'King Kong' is considered a classic example of Stockholm syndrome--a captor whom at first appears ruthless can be tamed by the woman who comes to love him.

I can just hold a book and tell if its for me or not. I have the book-hunting instinct.

I love you already, veggiedog. :D

Have you yet read anything by Barbara Vine? The Collector, by John Fowles?

I'm thinkin' these books might be up your alley. ;)

StillILearn said:
Have you yet read anything by Barbara Vine? The Collector, by John Fowles?
I've never read anything by Barbara Vine, though I believe The Collector is on by to-be-read list.

StillILearn said:
How do you do that here thing again? Please?
You mean this??? You just highlight the world you want to create a link with, click on the little globe symbol with the chain in your toolbar, and enter the URL of the site in the pop-up box. Hope that helped.

scooter13 said:
From a former Michigander/Detroit, welcome to the forum.
Did you live in the actual city or the suburbs? There are some really nice parts of Detroit, wouldn't you agree? Not quite the scenes of gore and carnage the media makes it out to me. Not that I'm patriotic about Detroit in any way, but people always seem to cringe when I tell them I'm from Gangsta Capital USA.

And now I shall impart to you fellow bookies how I found this site. I discovered it while looking for someone online to discuss The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn with, for help with a report I need to complete for class. Normally, I would be too lazy to do it, but for the sake of my grade and my parent's lives (they would each have heart attacks if I got anything below an A-), I decided I must. Rather than turning to my friends for intellectual discussion (alas, they have no idea what they are talking about), or my parents, who were raised in India and are less well-read in American Literature than Attila the Hun, I wanted to find someone who actually HAD A CLUE. So a Google search produced you guys, and voila! Here I am. *sigh* And that is my sappy, sentimental story of self-discovery, because you are all me and I am all of you. :eek:

I just realized yesterday that I look for in the perfect book what most people look for in the perfect man. The typical stuff, like smart, funny, exciting, daring, romantic-but-not-pathetic, mysterious, deep, unique, adventurous, and, of course, ingenious. Interesting, huh?

Back