• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mickey Spillane

Definitely sad news. I plan on reading some of his works as soon as I can make it down to the library some time today. He's the guy that created the famous scene of a P.I. in a run down office, rainy dark evening, and a gal stepping in with a problem.:cool: A class act this guy was.

It's always a weird feeling when somebody dies and you had assumed that of course they'd died a long time ago. Boy did I ever love those old paperbacks. I would purloin a couple of my stepmother's Camels and sneak off with one of her Mike Hammer books. A common literary "coming of age" back in the fifties, I guess?

There are those who may not realize how much the covers might have added to the popular appeal of Spillane's books:

spillane.jpg

images.jpg

What are some of your favorite memories of the Mike Hammer series?

Aha! Not only do Spillane and I share a proclivity, but we share a birthday too. No wonder I liked him.

It has been a long time since I read any of the Mike Hammer books and really don't remember favorites, especially at my age. However, SFG really hit it on the head. Spillane was a master of the detective writing.

Back