• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Military Sci-Fi

Heh heh. Didn't we cover this on the other board a year or so ago, Prolixic?

If anyone can come up with a satisfactory definition of Military SF, I'll eat my work boots.

I seem to remember the last discussion I was part of that attempted to define it, ended up getting bogged down with the definition of SF.

How's that for a leading statement? :p

Prolixic said:
Every year a book called "The Year's Best Military Sci Fi" or something like that, is published. Its got some great stuff in it--short stories you won't find anywhere else. /snip
Got a link?

Nope. But I've got the real title:

Best Military Science Fiction of the 20th Century
by HARRY TURTLEDOVE (Editor), MARTIN H. GREENBERG (Editor)

Sorry, thought it was a yearly publication. Either way its a great read.

I've just finished Armor by John Steakley and it couldn't be called anything but Military SF. Its a good un--I had a hard time putting the thing down. Starts out a little vague, but just about a third of the way through it picks up momentum. Very thoughtfully done...I'd recommend it.

Try this series

OK This is kind of military and definately sci fi.

Frederick Pohl wrote

The Other End of Time
The Siege of Eternity
The Far Shore of Time

Then there's also L Ron Hubbard's

Battlefield earth... which I think definately has some militaristic aspects and
The Mission Earth Series... 10 books I think again not entirely military though

OK Then the not so well known books by Christopher Rowley

The Vang, The Military Form
The Vang, The Battlemaster

These are very military but not from the human perspective...

so... yeah

I liked C.S. Friedman's In Conquest Born, although the reveiwers on the back of the book call it "space opera," I think it was pretty militaristic. Though I can't really say I know what I am talking about.

Wow, what an old post! How did you manage to dig it out? ;)

Anyways, I like Harry Harrison, his Deathworld series about Jason dinAlt and his advantures on planet Pyrrus.

Really good book, very military but with a great philosophy behind!

I just finished Scalzi... not too bad at all. Enjoyed it very much, thought there were places it could perhaps rise above The Forever War formula, but didn't. But still, got me up till early hours to complete it. Recommended. :)

Also, might as well just throw in The Forever War, which surprisingly didn't get a mention. Joe Haldeman! One of the best sf books ever, military or not. IMHO, of course.

ds

Back