• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mindf**k movies.

Gozu is all out bizarre.

And I'll say again that Last Year In Marienbad must find a place on the list, if only because it's all about memory and is a temporal and spatial jigsaw that can never really be solved.

how about Donnie Darko...

editing to add: i see now DD was already mentioned on page one..

as for the thread title.. we are all big boys and girls aren't we?

These kind of movies must be for the 30s - 50s generation - don't understand any of it - haven't complained to the 'management' but I can't say I like the title of the thread - my mind can get messed up enough with just day to day problems without adding to the mess. :rolleyes:

Stagnant waters start to smell, different perspectives are a good thing.

Am interested in your comment, do you figure everyone should sample all sorts of stuff even if it's of no interest to them whatsoever - like reading a technical text on a completely unknown subject just so that the mind stays active?

^ As opposed to reading/watching/doing/thinking the same range of things day in day out? Then yes.

Keeping the mind active is one part of it, but engaging with things of which we have little or no knowledge can also be an easy path to personal growth. Text books, of which I am a fan, are not the only resource available to us.

I understand filters are practical, my point is simply: we have access to the length and breadth of human discovery and creation, go wild once in a while.

^ As opposed to reading/watching/doing/thinking the same range of things day in day out? Then yes.

Keeping the mind active is one part of it, but engaging with things of which we have little or no knowledge can also be an easy path to personal growth. Text books, of which I am a fan, are not the only resource available to us.

I understand filters are practical, my point is simply: we have access to the length and breadth of human discovery and creation, go wild once in a while.

I understand what you are saying and yes, there are lots of things to discover in our world, however, I am unlikely to watch bizarre movies. I went through the whole vampire, zombie, horror stuff when I was younger - it has little appeal to me now. Yes, I do get involved in forum book reads in genres that I don't necessarily find interesting, not so far on this forum, that is about as wild as I get now. Text books for me were for when I was doing university courses but that was many years ago. Now I read for pleasure and relaxation. Different strokes for different folks to use a fairly hackneyed expression. I guess we just have to appreciate the differences in tastes.

Back