• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Misreadings large and small

Phil had a better curriculum - he learnt German from years 7-11, French from 7-9, and Latin from 9-11.

Jenem said:
it's not that easy for most of us :(
unless you are offering to pay for my ticket ;)

I guess you are right. Hopefully I become rich and can take you all to Germany and give you all the grand tour of my town of Assmannshausen and give you rooms in the luxurious Krone.

I know what you are thinking about the town name...don't say it.

:p

EDIT:
How can taking a vacation in Germany ever be a reward!?

Now you've gone to far!!! :mad:

Ich kämpfe said:
I guess you are right. Hopefully I become rich and can take you all to Germany and give you all the grand tour of my town of Assmannshausen and give you rooms in the luxurious Krone.

i will take you up on that ;) i would love to see Eltz Castle and Buedingen. so many places i would love to get to know!

I dislike the way this discussion has been reduced.

When I come to a discussion I think about provocation, how to open things up. The best way to close up a discussion is to talk about your own experience as if it is definitive. Think about the conversation!!

This has to do with writing When you write, you have so much more freedom when you keep the doors of the narrative open.

Novella

Read any Wittgenstein Novella?

Particularly his work titled Philosophical Investigations he moves from his hardcore standard logic based thinking to discussions on what he calls "language games", which we all play. Not sure if you enjoy the philosophy of language, but it's a good read on the topic if so.

Even if we speak the same language or think we translate something correctly based on the word we assign something to in the dictionary, it does not always mean we are seeing the whole meaning of a word. This idea is both very frightening in it's boundaries, but also exciting in that it opens up endless doors of ways to look at the world, as described by language in this case. G'night ;)

Not quite a "misreading", more of a "miswriting".

My 3rd year (i.e. the class would be 14-15) English teacher once wrote, in large letters on the board in a vain attempt to impress upon us the importance of English as a subject:

"The Pen is Mightier than the sword"

Unfortunately for him and the discipline in the class, he didn't leave much space after "Pen"...

Kev

novella said:
I dislike the way this discussion has been reduced.

When I come to a discussion I think about provocation, how to open things up. The best way to close up a discussion is to talk about your own experience as if it is definitive. Think about the conversation!!

This has to do with writing When you write, you have so much more freedom when you keep the doors of the narrative open.

Novella

not sure what i am going to say fits your discussion here.

I have found myself very very very angry at the translated poems from another language into English. I think they lose everything in translating. :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

any misleading is at high risk when you read the translated poem about something but only find that the original is about something else very different from the images in the translated one.

hope i can offer some examples here. ummm :rolleyes: -----use this smiliy as thinking instead of being sarcastic.

I learnt English for 8 years, Latin for 6y and French for 4y and I have to say, that Latin is the best thing that ever happend to me. I got a very good understanding of grammar and it made it easier for me to learn French.

Back