• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mitch Albom: The Five People You Meet In Heaven

samh5 said:
It was on TV a few weeks ago. On either ABC or NBC. I didn't watch it, waiting to read the book. :)

Oh, maybe that was it *feeling dumb*. I must have missed it then. I don't watch much tv. :rolleyes:

Cie- this book really made me think about my life and actually feel differently about what I do all the time. I'd say it is worth it. And if you don't think so after buying and reading it, just send it to me and I'll re-imburse you for it. I wouldn't mind owning a copy.

I loved Tuesdays With Morrie, so I have been meaning to read this book. I did get the chance to catch it on TV though, and I absolutely loved it. They did such a wonderful job with the movie and I just can't wait to read the book! Mitch Albom has such wonderful philosophies.

Recommended.

For those who liked "Five People," you might consider The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Not quite as "philosophical," but another interesting perspective on heaven ...

Is it anal that it keeps irking me that the term philosophy keeps being used here?? :p

I'm in rather a strange mood with little sleep....don't mind me, just passing through. *wanders off chasing a penguin*

The five people you meet in heaven - Mitch Albom

Just finished reading this book, thought it was one of the best short books i've read for a long time.
Anyone else read it?

I think there has been another thread about this book, I just don't know where.
Anyways, what did you like about it?

It was a nice simple story, easy to read, great descriptive writing about the places the lead character visits in heaven (it was like imagining yourself in a 1970's 'YES' or 'GENESIS' album cover). I think if I read the book again at a later date I would get something completely different from it. It's that type of book.
don't know if that made any sense.
Read the book see what you think.

Okay, my wife finished it not long ago and she cried reading it. :eek: Definitely didn't expect that.

I'm reading it next after Coelho.

ds

It is one of my favorite books!!!!! It can really make you think.
ds--I cried too. But it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

No, it isn't. I've never read anything that made me cry, and am wondering if it'll be first one. Quite looking forward to it, actually (reading it, I mean, not crying).

ds

This is a "don't hit me moment" I'm having. I really enjoyed the book, first of all. It had something to say, and the author knew how to tweak my heart strings. And I thought that a story that emphasized the worth of every human being was certainly worthwhile.

I think the problem was that I had just finished reading "Threads: The Reincarnation of Anne Boleyn," which addresses that theme (the worth of every human being) at a deeper and more profound level. It also threw in "the responsibilities of every human being toward every other human being," and sent a broader, more affecting message. I also thought it had a more interesting story line.

"Five People" was like a little fable - a little too surface-y. "Threads" makes you dig deep within yourself and really think about who and what you are, what you've done, and who you may have wounded in your life (which means it probably isn't for everyone!!) but if you tend to be introspective and searching, it will send you way over the top.

I was just hit harder and was much more haunted by "Threads" (which also made me cry) than I was by "Five People." So it's more a comparison than a criticism. "Five People" was a very nice book, and I liked it.

I read that book quite a long time ago. I'm very into it! I love it! I've re-read it over and over for more than 20 times! Every time I re-read the book, I feel like that I discover more and more meanings from the book. It's a very touching one! I really love it. It seems to simple but it's very meaningful. I think everyone should read it. Maybe after you read it, you'd re-read it more than 20 times like I've done! :p

I loved this book. I thought it was moving, though, once again, wasn't able to make me cry. :cool:

I read it recently whilst on holiday. I quite enjoyed it as well although I agree with Pat that there was nothing new to learn from it. It was an easy read and quite heartwarming though.

There seem to be a lot of books around at the moment with views on what Heaven is like. The Lovely Bones is one that springs to mind. Although I still think The Great Divorce by C.S Lewis is one of the better in the `genre'.

I'm still reading Tuesday's with Morrie but I got a bit sidetracked by new purchases.

I really enjoyed this book, way more than I thought I would, I think 'comforting' is the right word.

Back