• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mitch Albom: The Five People You Meet In Heaven

I listen to a lot of books on audiotape. The Five People You Meet in Heaven is now my favorite audiotape book. The narrator's voice was a perfect fit, there was background music and sound effects at just the right times. I loved it.

Bookworm88 said:
I listen to a lot of books on audiotape.

I normally don't like listening to the audiotapes of books, because I feel like the book loses half of its magic that way, but audiotapes are a great way to multitask!

Did anyone see the movie Five People you Meet in Heaven? I think that they normally also lose the book's magic but I was surprised at how the movie was able to draw out the same response from me that the book did. Normally that doesn't happen, at least to me.

It's on my list of books to read. I'm looking forward to it. My friend read it and really injoyed it and when I dont have exams and a giant book list..I'll read it.
I hear its a quick read.
Lani

I wasn't a big fan of The Five People You Meet in Heaven. To me, it felt like the same thing as Tuesdays with Morrie - instead of Mitch visiting an old teacher and learning lessons of life, it was Eddie dying and learning lessons of life. Albom's writing was pretty good, but nothing in the book really blew me away.

Bonzo said:
I wasn't a big fan of The Five People You Meet in Heaven. To me, it felt like the same thing as Tuesdays with Morrie - instead of Mitch visiting an old teacher and learning lessons of life, it was Eddie dying and learning lessons of life. Albom's writing was pretty good, but nothing in the book really blew me away.

I kind of felt that way about it too. I've seen those "inspirational insights" done better elsewhere. I didn't find it deep or anything. But it was good, I thought. Just a three-and-a-half to four-star rather than a five-star, in my opinion.

The Five....

For me, the book was bittersweet and somewhat profound in that it aptly described and followed the life of a person who wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth, and dealt the best he could within the life he found himself. Especially meaningful to me was the chapter where he meets 'Tala' in heaven. At the stream, when she gives him the stone to wash her skin, it seems she's giving him the courage and permission to forgive himself. Old theme set to new music in some ways, but who doesn't like a different dance once in a while.

I thought this was a pretty good, quick read. It didn't change my life or anything. It's actually the first book I can remember reading when I couldn't wait for the main character to die.

It did make me think, and wonder, so that's enough for me.

moltomezzo said:
It's actually the first book I can remember reading when I couldn't wait for the main character to die.
As strange as that sounds, I know exactally what you mean. It seemed as though his last few hours on earth were marked by his pain and suffering. I just wish that when in the real world you saw people dying in agony, you could feel the same way, instead we work hard to try and extend their lives if only for a few hours, so that we can be with them for a longer time.

I read the Five People You Meet in Heaven and was completely enthralled by it, and am somewhat surprised by its difficulty in getting positive votes here. It is a very sweet and sentimental series of episodes and lessons that were unexpected by me and I would have difficulty characterizing it as the 'ordinary' thing one might expect upon reaching Heaven, in whatever sense anyone might understand that phrase. I have given it as a 'thank you' gift to a number of people and they have all enjoyed it.
Maybe I'm easily pleased,
Peder

Peder said:
It is a very sweet and sentimental series of episodes and lessons that were unexpected by me and I would have difficulty characterizing it as the 'ordinary' thing one might expect upon reaching Heaven, in whatever sense anyone might understand that phrase.
I agree, I liked how someone explained to Eddie that the best thing God could give would be an explanation of your significance and reason behind your life. I loved how when Eddie returns to his memories and doesn't understand the significant impact that his actions had on anothers. My best example would be the Blue Man, Eddie had no idea that his actions caused another person to die. It makes you think how your actions could and do affect other people and their lives.

It was a good book and I enjoyed it verey much. It gives you pause and makes you think a little bit about life. I may go back and reread it since it is a fast read.

I too liked this book, but wasn't blown away by it. I found the author's idea of the afterlife a little claustrophobic, I've always liked the idea that there's something 'bigger' out there, and it just seemed too ordinary. But that's more my personal prejudice than the fault of the book, so guess it was nice to be given a different POV...

I've just finished reading the Five People You Meet in Heaven. I enjoyed it very much and found that it was a nice light "summer" book. I have several friends that I'm going to pass it on to. :)

My brother is actually being taught this book in school this year. I think it would be interesting to attend his class just to hear what the teacher can analyze on with out getting to into "the God debate" since he attends public school.

h_carnahan said:
My brother is actually being taught this book in school this year. I think it would be interesting to attend his class just to hear what the teacher can analyze on with out getting to into "the God debate" since he attends public school.
What age group is this being taught to? The discussions could become quite controversial.

Kookamoor said:
What age group is this being taught to? The discussions could become quite controversial.
It is being taught to high school freshman so 14-15 year olds. The book doesn't have big words in it (to whoever asked that) it is an easy beach read in my opinion, so sad that beach season is already over :(

I read this book a couple of months ago and enjoyed it. It only takes a couple of days to read, isn't too heavygoing but had some thought provoking stuff in it too. Was bitter sweet I thought. I would like to read his other book too but haven't got around to it yet.

Back