• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Mormonism

Krys

I have found myself exceedingly fascinated by the history and evolution of Mormonism since its inception by Joseph Smith in the nineteenth century.

Just recently, I have plowed through two very moving and sad memoirs written by former Mormons.

Leaving the Saints by Martha Beck gave me insight to the religion and society created in Utah (and much of the western US). She bravely wrote about her dyfunctional family without coming across as patronizing. And, with humor, she filled me in on much of the history of Mormonism (especially the Egyptian papyrus, "The Pearl of Great Price" which had me chuckling).

Within her story, she mentions Deborah Laake who wrote "Secret Ceremonies" which details the sacred and secret practices of the Mormon temples. (She was later excommunicated from the church for divulging this information.) While her bio was filled with many references to her depression and mental illness, I couldn't help but wonder if she was just a product of the pressures put on members of the church.

(Oddly enough, there was also recently an article in People magazine regarding the FLDS, Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints, that showed extreme pressures being placed upon teens in the church. FLDS is not to be confused with LDS.)

Interesting collaborating fact is that in Utah has the highest percentage of Prozac usage in the US.

The LDS Church is an amazing "corporation", and the more I learn, the more intrigued I become.

Is this book ultimately about her split from the Mormon church? I've heard that they make it very difficult to leave compared to other religions. Does she address this in her book?

I am a HUGE dis-believer in mormonism, and in California/Arizona/Colorado/Utah area, there is a lot of it. If you're into something that is more derogatory to the religion as a religion (not as a "corp") then John Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven is really intriguing, and also a book for me to justify my negative venting process. I think that it sufficiently recaps on the history.

I have read Under The Banner of Heaven and was shocked by a lot of what it said about the mormon religion. I spent 2 years at a high school that had a high mormon population and I never knew much about them. They were often friendly but kept to themselves, I wiould be really interested in reading more so I will look into the two books. Thanks for the info.

I have some experience with this topic as I was in the religion for most of my high school years. The books mentioned by the thread-starter are some good sources of information. Personally, it never ceased to amaze me how many excuses were put forward in trying to explain away why polygamy was "necessary." The church owns a book publishing wing that their "apostles" and other high leaders turn out. Though while they write on church issues and attempt to address some controversies, as soon as one of them is faulty or contradictory, they are quick to then say that the writers are not the official voice of the church. It works very well for them. If the writing benefits them and isn't proven a fraud, it's mentioned frequently in their sunday school classes and other events. If it is eventually found to be contradictory or to be untrue, they can then justly separate the arguments of a high leader from the "official position" and not be embarrassed to acknowledge it.

Thank god I found Thus spoke Zarathustra in college and have since, never looked back. :D

Leaving the Saints is more about Beck's spiritual journey than how difficult it is to actually leave the church. She grew up as a Mormon, with her father as one of the church's strongest apologists. (He was well-known for "covering up" or "making excuses" for a lot of the church's controversies.)

My understanding is that it is extremely difficult to leave the church. Often, former members just become inactive, but remain on the church registry.

Under the Banner of Heaven is also on my TBR list, and I am looking forward to it.

In Laake's book, she bravely acknowledges that the church's patriacal practices, when combined with strong male egos, can lead to (the crazy) fundamentalist wings.

And, the church itself still believes polygamy to be true in the afterlife.

The whole religion is just extremely curious.

What is up with KOLOB? I had a friend a long time ago who used to go off about the Osmonds and wacky theories about this other planet called KOLOB. Is this in any way tied into Mormonism or just wacko fringe stuff?

As far as I know, it is not wacky fringe stuff. Kolob is a star referenced in a mormon religious document. The Osmonds were mormons and crappy musicians. Otherwise, I don't know...

The Mysteries of Kolob

Kolob is the planet or star where the Mormon's Heavenly Father lives or lives near to. It isn't fringe Mormonism. Its mainstream Mormonism, as mainstream as Mormonism is. It is referred to in the Mormon's Book of Abraham which was "divinely translated" from scrolls bought by Joseph Smith from basically a circus performer who would carry around an Egyptian mummy and have people pay to see it. Modern day translations of the scrolls that for many years were thought to have been lost in a fire (but weren't) have revealed that Joseph Smith's divine translations were, in short, inaccurate.

There are even references to Kolob in a favorite Mormon hymn.

sirmyk said:
I thought the moderators of this forum despised religious discussion?

Oh yea. Maybe it's not an issue because they're factual statements relating to a book, rather than issue pressing. Or, it could just be that nobody noticed it. I totally forgot.

uhhh... it seems credible to me...that.. Joe Smith was told by the Angel of Moroni about these golden plates that were burried on some hill that held scriptures... But when he translated them for the book of mormon, the angel wanted them back... Go figure.

KBomb_reads said:
uhhh... it seems credible to me...that.. Joe Smith was told by the Angel of Moroni about these golden plates that were burried on some hill that held scriptures... But when he translated them for the book of mormon, the angel wanted them back... Go figure.

If you think that's incredible, you should try reading the Book of Mormon. They believe that around the time of the tower of Babel, that god commanded a man take his family in a boat and head on over to the new world. The man's son's had a falling out with one another and the good tribe had light skin, while the evil ones had dark skin. This in and of itself should tell you something about Joe Smith's ignorance and proclivity to the absurd, but I'll just leave it at that. Not only that, but all of the character's names are clearly ripped off from the old testament-hardly original. I've also heard countless times that the garden of Eden is located in some county in Missouri. I'm not certain why it would be there, I can think of at least thirty better places-like Nebraska. :D

This thread seems to be turning down the path of mormon-bashing, instead of topics related to the book originally in discussion.

This link will take you to a site maintained by the LDS church where you can read all of the LDS official scriptures for yourself. It would perhpas be interesting to cross-reference the texts with the books previously mentioned. At the same time, I would still maintain that the texts show little originality and contain a good number of historical flaws.

Missouri being one of the places the mormon founders and it's first members claimed as their land.. illinois... missouri.. Joe didn't even go to Utah. I don't know why so many people believe in this religion. How can it be the fastest growing religion.. maybe it's members don't read the book..

Sirmyk, while the book I read had some shocking info on the mormon faith, I also have come across just as many dirty details on most other religions. And I never intended to do any mormon bashing, I am honestly interested in learning more about it, as I like learning about the different religions. I like how they have so many things that are similiar and so many things that are contrary. I don't belong to any religion and I don't intend too but I do like to know what others put their faith in.

Ronny said:
Sirmyk, while the book I read had some shocking info on the mormon faith, I also have come across just as many dirty details on most other religions. And I never intended to do any mormon bashing, I am honestly interested in learning more about it, as I like learning about the different religions. I like how they have so many things that are similiar and so many things that are contrary. I don't belong to any religion and I don't intend too but I do like to know what others put their faith in.
I think on these same lines and currently do not belong to any form of organized religion, nor do I plan to in the future. Every religion has its dirty little secrets. I just remember on an alternate thread where some moderators stepped in to stop discussion of religion, which I think is frowned upon on this forum. Religion, politics... I think there may be another.

Back