• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Morrissey / The Smiths

Well, I have to say I was distinctly underwhelmed with Moz's new single and video. :( The video was awful - made to look like it had been filmed in the 1970s, complete with flickering film.

The single was rather insipid, more of an album track than the first single off a new album. Maybe it will grow on me. Moz's voice was excellent as always though.

I didn't watch it, but aren't his videos usually pretty ropey? And it's par for the course for him to release a weak song for the first single. Alma Matters, anyone?

Hmm, but Irish Blood, English Heart was certainly not weak!

I agree that the videos are usually not much cop, but this was a new low.

Jealous? Not me, I saw him twice on his last tour. :) Oh all right then, yes I am very jealous. I may have to fight you for that ticket. :mad:

hi everyone

I love the smiths, it's difficult to pick favourite tracks but i would say, how soon is now, panic, and please please please let me get what i want.

so many great ones to choose from!

bethm said:
I love the smiths, it's difficult to pick favourite tracks but i would say, how soon is now, panic, and please please please let me get what i want.

How Soon Is Now! One of my favourites. :) Did you see Moz on his last tour, Beth?

Thanks for that info, Shade. :) He's been coming out with some very inflammatory and controversial stuff in the last few days. Anyone would think he was trying to generate publicity for a new album or something. :rolleyes:

So, 'should be interesting' I said ... but wasn't. The interview came to naught as Douglas Coupland decided he didn't want to interview Morrissey after all, so whatever was said in their 105 minutes together will remain unknown. At least he's on Jonathan Ross's chat show again this week - maybe with luck it'll only be half as painful as last time...

I love the smiths! Can't stop listening to them!

To name a few favourites - Reel Around The Fountain, This Charming Man, Hand In Glove and How Soon Is Now.

I can honestly say i've never heard a bad track by them and I have most of them. Great band! :cool:

I've never been able to really enjoy the smiths till i watched 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' on mtv a few nights ago

<3

Morrissey will be on Jonathan Ross's chat show next Friday. :) No interview, but he is singing (presumbly his new single, which I believe is The Youngest Was The Most Loved).

Well, the lack of interview will be no loss after the last cringe-fest. And re Douglas Coupland's teasy non-interview with him in Observer Music Monthly a couple of months back, which I mentioned earlier: even TV newsreader Krishnan Guru-Murthy wrote in to complain about it!

Krishnan Guru-Murthy... I remember when he was a young whippersnapper on Newsround! :eek: *ahem* Thanks for the link, Shade. :)

Incidentally, I will have to post my thoughts on ROTT. I did write quite a long review for here, but the damn forum logged me out when I was writing it and I lost it all. I was so angry that I haven't got around to doing it again. Not that it was anything deeply insightful, just my thoughts on the album. Short version: I didn't like it at first, it grew on me with repeated plays, and now I think it's wonderful. :D

I think I'm still in the growing-on-me phase, though I admit I haven't listened to it for a while (excuse: my new car doesn't have an iPod connection yet...). I do think I Will See You in Far-Off Places is superb though.

HUGE fan of the Smiths. Can't say that for Morrissey though.

Ill give him 'The Last Of The International Playboys' though.

Back