• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Most important part of a story?

Most important part of the story?

• Setting

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Character

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Events or Plot

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Ideas or Concept

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

Violanthe

What, in your opinion, is the most important part of any story? Setting? Character? Events or Plot? Ideas of Concept? What keeps you reading or watching? Keeps you interested, engaged and coming back for more? Why?

I think character. I think that a lot can be forgiven-setting, plot, idea or concept-if the character or characters is/are interesting and fresh.

I agree with CDA. It's a combination of elements, and changes for individual books. It's funny how sometimes I'll be very aware which elements are most important for me in the book, and other times, it's so hard to pinpoint the appeal.

I agree with character. The plot, language, conceivability, everything else, together as CDA and Abecedarian stated, are important, and I too, find different elements of different books the most appealing.

But if I had to choose, it would be the characters, in the majority of books, that would make me want to read more, or not.

I think that if you have a character in your mind and you can picture them as plain as day(almost as if they are sitting right next to you), then plots and settings can fall ino place.

Hmm, I think it's a mix of all the above, though if I had to choose one, I would go with plot. I can keep reading a book if it has a good plot, but lousy characterisation, but if it were the other way around, I couldn't keep reading. Mind you, I guess it depends on what kind of book it is. I've read some books where not much happens plot wise, yet the book as a whole is just brilliant (Girl with a Pearl Earring springs to mind).:confused:

I definitely vote for character. I think that character is key, and if you have a good character than good plots and themes will follow as part of the package. After all, isn't that what makes a good character so engaging? You can't see whether it's a good character if you're watching them sit around doing nothing.

Hey, you left out language!

I suppose otherwise I would have to concur with character. What I don't think, which seems to be a commonly expressed opinion (generally I mean, not on this thread), is that you have to like or empathise with a character to like a book. Horrible characters are, if anything, more interesting.

The most important part for me is the plot, it has to be an involving story even if the characters are put together well i need the story to bring me into it. Even if the characters aren't put together if the story is good i can deal with that to, so plot and events is what i chose.

I'm the opposite. If a character is entertaining enough, I'll follow him anywhere. If, however, a well-plotted book has cardboard-cutout characters I lose interest.

Language is a good one. I'm sorry I didn't think of it.

I went with character. I can usually forgive a weak plot if there are well written characters in it. One of my favorite things is when characters from other books have cameos in another of the authors books. It's like an old friend stopping by to say hello.

I voted for plot and events - I give up on books pretty easily if nothing good is happening because I can't stand being bored when I read something. I don't mind if the characters are a bit stale as long as they are doing something that interests me.

I just can't separate them. Setting is probably the least important - if the plot and characters are interesting then the setting just happens to be where they take place. That being said, any setting in outer space is unlikely to interest me, because any plot in outer space is usually not something I am interested in.

Language, as mentioned by Shade, is important, but for me is definately not the most important. A book can be wonderfully written, but still have a boring plot. The same with concept. A book with a breakthrough concept that presents a plot in a really interesting style, is useless if that plot doesn't appeal, and the character are not well formed.

It seems to come down to the characters and plot for me as the *most* important components. They must be well expressed and well developed (which takes style and language) in order for me to enjoy a book. But they're also interdependent on each other. Thus I haven't voted, but you can take this as a write in - give 'em half a point each.

I had to vote for character. If the character is uninteresting and flat, the plot likely is as well. You don't have to like the character, he/she just has to be well-drawn. They have to make you want to know what makes them tick. The plot is of course important, but if the character is interesting and unpredictable, the plot will follow. Sometimes the pace is not as important and may take time to develop, but so what if the character is one that you can and want to follow their progress.

Shade could you explain exactly what you mean by language? Do you mean the flow, or construction? :confused:

I also think that it varies from book to book. If a writer does something extremely well, I can forgive other short comings. I'll read about an amazing character, or an intriguing plot or a compelling theme.

I guess if lots of writers created all three, I'd insist on all three, but it doesn't happen very often.

Violanthe said:
So, you like a fast pace? Does a slow pace ever work in fiction?

Perhaps instead of the term "pace," I should've used the term "narrative drive" or "momentum." Something doesn't necessarily need to be happening in the plot, but the writing needs to keep moving forward. For example, in Silence of the Lambs, there's a long detailed description of how to make clothing out of human skin. Nothing is actually happening in the plot, but the writing is strong and very chilling.

I almost bailed on Margret Atwood because of her excessively long descriptions of clothing in The Blind Assassin, but it was well written, said something about the narrator's character and the plot kept moving forward, so I hung in there. She maintained the momentum.

On other hand, I have skipped over several pages, and sometimes even a chapter or two, because the writing just bogged down.

Back