• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Most scary?

Wabbit

What is the most scary horror book that you have ever read?

I know this has kinda been asked before but since then lots of new people have joined and it IS Halloween :D

I'm not really a huge fan of horror books and I have not really read that many of them. I will say the most scary one that I have read is The Fog by James Herbert.

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons, I'm not a fan of horror books and this is one of the few I have read but I liked the characters and it was scary at times.

It was very late at night, and as usual, I was darn sleepy but wanted to start on a new book. In this case, it was Richard Matheson's _I Am Legend_. I wanted to read until I can hardly open my eyes, but then I got to the part where
the protagonist overslept in the afternoon in the crypt, and later realized that the the clock has stopped and had no way of knowing if he could make it back to his house before the vampires came out.

I was too tired to continue from there, but at that point I was almost afraid to close my eyes.

ds

Do. It's a short book and you'll probably finish it in one sitting. But for best effect read it at night. :)

Okay, it's not all parts scary, but it's still good.

ds

The Shining by Stephen King.

Wabbit, do read "I Am Legend" - you'll like it!

ell

SillyWabbit said:

I'm not really a huge fan of horror books and I have not really read that many of them. I will say the most scary one that I have read is The Fog by James Herbert.

I've not read much horror (some Poe, Dracula, etc), but I did read The Fog when I was camping on Skye and it scared the shit out of me!

Ell said:
The Shining by Stephen King.

Wabbit, do read "I Am Legend" - you'll like it!

ell

Thanks for the recommendation! I will, FOR SURE, read this one. It just sounds really good.

BTW, nice to see you around here Ell :)

I'm with Ell on this one - The Shining is the only book that's ever really un-nerved (oh, alright then, scared) me. In fact, I'm sure that it's the main reason I no longer read in bed! :)

Hmm. I like horror, so I'm not easily scared. Silence of the Lambs stuck with me for days, though. I was a little twitchy around white panel vans for a week or so.

Cabal (Clive Barker) also was creepy.

Cathy

At first, I was going to say "Misery". Then I remembered trying to read "Helter Skelter" by myself. I finally did read it. I think it was horrifying because it really happened.

SillyWabbit said:

I know this has kinda been asked before but since then lots of new people have joined and it IS Halloween :D

Okay, I know I am a little late for this party, but Wabbit, you hit the nail on the head for me. I didn't read the book but did see the movie The Fog when I was a kid and to this day, I am easily spooked when it is foggy.

SillyWabbit said:
Yeah, I saw the movie also! :)

The book is much MORE scary than the movie! :eek:

Thank you wabbit, you have just convinced me to NOT read that book!!! :eek: We have quite a lot of fog here and I would hate to spend the rest of my life terrified! :eek:

Der Sandmann

I have to go for a classic; Der Sandmann, written by E.T.A. Hoffmann.
It is really short so I strongly recommend it to all horror fans. Read! Seriously.
I have started on Der Teufels Elixiere by the same author, but it was an disappointment! Has he written anything else, as scary as Der Sandmann?

For nonfiction, Helter Skelter is a very scarey book. And agreed, The Shining is quite scarey. His novella The Mist and 'Salem's Lot made me jump, but the Stephen King novel that really crossed the line and creeped me out was Pet Sematary. Peter Straub's Ghost Story is even scarier!

I haven't had the privelege of being scared by a book :eek: . I guess I can confidently say that because I haven't read all that much horror.

Back