• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

movie poster book covers

I'm making an exception because a portuguese magazine is offering great books that were turned in great movies for only 1€. What's the catch? Oh yeah, they have a movie related cover... However at that price one can not afford to be picky :eek:

Check out the titles:
- The Godfather, Mario Puzo
- L.A. Confidential, James Ellroy
- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
- In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
- The Constant Gardener, John Le Carré
- The English Patient, Michael Ondaatje
- The Bonfire of the Vanities, Tom Wolfe

Oh and The Godfather came free with the magazine.
b.jpg

I'm making an exception because a portuguese magazine is offering great books that were turned in great movies for only 1€. What's the catch? Oh yeah, they have a movie related cover... However at that price one can not afford to be picky :eek:

Check out the titles:
- The Godfather, Mario Puzo
- L.A. Confidential, James Ellroy
- Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
- In Cold Blood, Truman Capote
- The Constant Gardener, John Le Carré
- The English Patient, Michael Ondaatje
- The Bonfire of the Vanities, Tom Wolfe

Oh and The Godfather came free with the magazine.
b.jpg
I wouldn't mind having that copy of The Godfather, but then again I love Marlon Brando.;)

im not to fussed about movie tie in covers, occasionally they can be nicer covers.

my main problem with them is expaining to customers (im an assisstant manager of a bookshop) that the movie tie in and the original covers ARE the same book (as in most cases they will keep publishing both covers similtaniously) 50% of the time they don't believe me. its crazy :)

I don't generally like the movie covers either. If I'm buying a book I want to be able to keep it in my library for a long time and I don't want some actor on the front who really doesn't do justice to the original characters. In some cases it almost seems like the cover betrays the author...

The most annoying for me in recent years are The Lord of the Rings books. I want a nice set for my personal collection, but I want it to look nice and classic. The photos of the actors are just too modern and although I loved the movies, I want to keep my books true to the original. Does that make sense?

But I don't blame ya'll for buying them if they're really cheap - I'd do the same and just keep my eye out for a nice copy to add to my library permenantly.

I've just came across a book where I prefer the movie-tie cover. The next book I'm planning to read is Nights in Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks. My mother already owns it so I'm just borrowing it. When comparing it's cover with the movie-tie one, I really prefer the movie-tie cover, I think it's a great cover. What do you guys think?

361d1f01f02321874df50f97073fc90a.jpg
01040188_O_Sorriso_das_Estrelas(RL)_gra.jpg

Oh, and I just wanted to share that Nights in Rodanthe was translated to portuguese as The Smile of the Stars. They did this to almost everyone of Nicholas Sparks' books. It' seems that because it's a romance it has to have a stupid name...

I think both are awful. :innocent: One looks like a cheap, self-published, Harlequin-style romance, the other looks like a cheap, professionally published, Harlequin-style romance.

Yeah, but I still prefer the "cheap, professionally published, Harlequin-style romance" cover, it has Richard Gere in it!!!:whistling:

I seriously HATE movie book covers. I go out of my way to find an edition where hollywood hasn't staked it as theirs for the taking. This, of course, makes it hard to shop on Amazon because with certain books, you're never sure which edition they'll send out (even if they have a picture of a certain edition on their page).

I wonder how an author feels about having his book being...disfigured...like that. Sure anytime a books is made into a film it signals succes, but still...

I also sneer at the books with "Oprah's Book Club" stamped on it. The stickers I don't mind because you can just peel them off. But nowadays I'm seeing more and more books with the seal printed on them. Grrr.:angry:

I also sneer at the books with "Oprah's Book Club" stamped on it. The stickers I don't mind because you can just peel them off. But nowadays I'm seeing more and more books with the seal printed on them. Grrr.:angry:

I have mixed feelings about the Oprah labels, but mostly they annoy me. I can almost tolerate it if the book is somewhat obscure, meaning I never heard of it before..but if the book is a classic or otherwise fairly well known, it grates on my nerves to see her name plastered on the cover. As if the readers of planet Earth would never have discovered this gem without Oprah's help...:lol:

Oh, and I avoid movie poster covers too. Yuck.

Today I got another one: Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen.

On principle I prefer to avoid movie covers, and the fact that Keira Knightley features on two of my most favourite books (P&P and Atonement) merely reaffirms my preference. (Apologies to all KK fans)

On principle I prefer to avoid movie covers, and the fact that Keira Knightley features on two of my most favourite books (P&P and Atonement) merely reaffirms my preference. (Apologies to all KK fans)

Yeah, I have her on both covers too...:sad:

Back