• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

music

honeydevil

Since we don't have a subdevision to talk about music, i open a thread for it...
What is your favorite music? Your favorite band?
why do you like them?
how did you know about them?
what do you like about it?... etc...

lies said:
There are quite a few threads on music already you might want to read (la di da)

oh thanks, it was too late to check out other threads... :eek:

okay and a question for you... what metal bands do you prefer or for what mood do you choose which?

I honestly don't know... It's been a while since I listened to metal album or went to a metal gig too though. I've been giving hardcore more of my time. ;)

I like a lot of different music. Here are some of my favorite artists and their genres.

Band: Medeski, Martin, and Wood
Genre: Electronic Organ Funk Jazz
I picked up Karl Denson's Dance Lesson #2, and I loved the bass parts, so I found that Chris Wood was the bassist. Then I found that MMW was his band, and a friend of mine had their newest release at the time, Uninvisible. From the first song, I knew they were great. They started out as a danceable piano jazz trio, but their last few albums have been a shift to a more electronic sound. MMW albums and shows end up getting stuck in my CD player for weeks at at time.

Band: Phish
Genre: Eclectic Jam
I picked these guys up one night from my roommate. We had some people over for a late night one time, and one of my roommates put the song "Contact" on. I was hooked. The song starts out sounding like a song from a children's jazz album to a completely funked out breakdown. I love that contrast that they bring and seemed to have mastered. One song is southern rock or bluegrass, and the next is reggae. Hell, Jay-Z joined them on stage at a Brooklyn show.

Band: Rage Against The Machine
Genre: Punk Rap Metal
A childhood friend turned me on to these guys in high school. Before there was Limp Bizkit and that whole rap-rock movement, these guys did it right. Their sound is completely raw. With his completely unconventional style, guitarist Tom Morello is the closest thing we have left to Jimi Hendrix. I mainly listen to these guys before or during my workout.

Plenty of other bands I could list, but I have other stuff to do today. I love talking about music.

aside from the dmb being my fave, i also like a lot of chick singers....ie, sinead o'conner,no that's not a typo, i do like her music. i also like chantal kreviazuk..she's canadian as well as is sarah mclaughlin, who i also like. fiona apple is good, although she is a tad strange. but then i like a whole other side of music as well. nothing beats a great dance song...i used to like 'rave' music, during my wilder days, but like the wild days, the music get boring. i guess i like a whole range of music, and like RK, i love it and love to listen and talk about it.

Yeah, Ricky, the wild days can get old, but can the music? Probably varies with each person. If you liked the rave scene, you'd probably like some of the stuff that's going on in the jam scene right now. A lot of bands are doing a mix of electronic dance and funk that really gets me going.

I used to listen to DMB all the time, and I still like Dave's stuff, as cliche as it sounds, mainly his older stuff. His sound was just something altogether different: Violin, sax, punchy acoustic, funked out bass, and Carter's incredible powers of syncopation. My tastes changed about 3 years or so, and I started exploring other realms of music. It just left less time for Dave. I still think he does his own thing, despite what a lot of people say.

it's true, and i agree, the dmb's older stuff is better, and i prefer listening to it.
as far as the rave scene went, i don't think the music got 'old', well, yeah i guess it did. it just started to sound the same. after a while, i just couldn't tell anymore, you know? i would be interessted in the music you are talking about that's going on now....any chance you could lead me in that direction?
i've also, as of late, really gotten into some great jazz singers, new ones. madeleine peyroux is from france, and she has the most amazing voice..she actually does sort of have an old school jazz sound, now that i think of it.

Ricky, check out Sound Tribe Sector 9, abbreviated STS9. Try to find some of their live stuff online. If you have high speed, you can download a show, and check it out.

hey RK, thanks for the suggestion..i actually went on amazon and checked out their stuff...pretty rad sound they have! not too in your face, you know? i jsut find sometimes it gets repetitive or loud or something, but this has a different, funky sound....thanks! :D

I like Idie mostly and some rock, My favourite rock band is nickelback and my favourite song is Flat Out On The Floor. My favourite Indie band is The Tears. I only heard The Tears last night, I saw them singing Refugees on TV and got the song immediately.

i love music, but right now i'm hating it that i stuck to the comercial stuff.. i go through almost all of it, but i mostly prefer rock, hard rock, punk, metal, reggea... whatever makes me feel alive...

My favorite bands and singers change with my mood so I would be able to put just one. Here are some:

Ben Folds
Queens of the Stone Age
The White Stripes
Marcy Playground
Modest Mouse
Keane
Unwritten Law
The Strokes
Sarah Mclachlan
Papa Roach
Fall Out Boy
Sum 41
The Offspring
Citizen Cope

My taste varies as you can see.

just listened to the new black eyed peas..not bad..good dancing musice, especially track 5......

Classical music of the basic Mozart and Beethoven variety, though I've been getting into 40s jazz recently, such as Lester Young, and blues, such as Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee.

ricky said:
just listened to the new black eyed peas..not bad..good dancing musice, especially track 5......

which one is track 5? I gave this cd to my sister for christmas and since then i never saw it again...

Seeed?

oh and did anybody ever hear of Seeed? It's german/english reggae, they are from berlin and they are awsome...

My favourite band is The Offspring. I like them because they do good music and good tunes to their music. I knew about them when I watched their song called 'Pretty fly for a white guy' on a music channel when it was first out. The song was catchy and still is in my opinion.

Back