• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

My Amazon Kindle review....finally!

The product is good enough to be sold out.
And again I ask, has anyone seen any actual sales figures? As in, how many of the things have actually been sold? The latest Ferrari is usually sold out too; that doesn't mean everyone is interested in buying one.

You would get the $400 back sooner or later from the cost savings of ebooks over paper. If you only saved $5 per book then you break even at about 80 books.
The standard price seems to be about $10. In other words, the same you pay for a paperback. And of course, those $400 conveniently force you to buy from nobody but Amazon.

And of course, those $400 conveniently force you to buy from nobody but Amazon.

I believe, soon enough, you'll be able to download/buy books from other sources outside of Amazon. The Kindle accepts not only the format it designed, but mobipocket too.

There is a site that I downloaded free books from for my Kindle already. Probably about $200 worth of classics.

And again I ask, has anyone seen any actual sales figures? As in, how many of the things have actually been sold? The latest Ferrari is usually sold out too; that doesn't mean everyone is interested in buying one.

The standard price seems to be about $10. In other words, the same you pay for a paperback. And of course, those $400 conveniently force you to buy from nobody but Amazon.

As far as I know, Amazon hasn't released the actual figures.

Prices do go down after time. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett is now only $6.39.

Project Gutenberg offers free electronic copies of many classics.

The public library has electronic resources now as well.

Good review. The thing that puts me off most is the price. Also, I already have a Palm TX for reading ebooks. I own quite a few, but I've only actually read one on my TX. :eek: I didn't find it too bad, but I definitely prefer paper versions.

I would never buy one either. The only reason I would want one is if I was a professional in some capacity (programmer, doctor, lawyer, etc.) and wanted reference material to hand.

I am a professional (programmer, doctor, lawyer, etc.). When I need my literature, I open my laptop where I store many electronic articles / books and other necessay for my work literature.

And, because I am a professional, I NEVER buy a device with a DRM. Actually, I think that it is a pure consumer irresponsibility (even worse - it is IGNORANCE!!!) to completely give up over that DRM issue! People, what are you doing to yourself?!

(people might wonder that I anyway sell my soul to a satan if use Windows in my aforementioned laptop, known for its spies - ha- ha-ha, no, I am a Debian Linux user. It's spy-free! and FREE SOFTWARE as the SOFTWARE should be.)

The future of reading: a DRM critique <--- link to an article

I'll agree DRM is the work of the devil. All DRM does is give crackers something to do.

I got my Kindle today in the mail and am obsessed with it thus far. My parents sent it to me as a birthday gift (they are so wonderful) and I've been looking forward to it for months.

When I first posted in this thread in March, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to transition from an actual book to the Kindle but I read it all afternoon with no issues. It's definitely a lot more lightweight, which was one reason it appealed to me--easier to read in bed! It's obviously more portable as well--I have to have a book with me at all times, so this will spare some backache.

I do not at all plan on using my Kindle exclusively, but it's especially nice for traveling.

The current price of the Kindle is listed at $359.00 with free shipping. For those who are interested, how low does the price have to be before you will buy?

The current price of the Kindle is listed at $359.00 with free shipping. For those who are interested, how low does the price have to be before you will buy?

Sparky is waiting for his sugar mamma to buy him one:whistling:

Isabell, I’m so glad you started this thread because I have been wondering about the Kindle. It sounds like an ingenious invention! Can you make the print size bigger? How many ebooks can the Kindle hold at one time? Is there a way to mark the page you left off at?

Isabell, I’m so glad you started this thread because I have been wondering about the Kindle. It sounds like an ingenious invention! Can you make the print size bigger? How many ebooks can the Kindle hold at one time? Is there a way to mark the page you left off at?

Yes, I believe 6 sizes (I don't have it in front of me right now)

200 with the internal memory; thousands more with a memory card

Yes, and not only can you mark the page you are reading, when you turn off the device at that screen, when you go to turn it on again, it appears exactly where you left off.

Me and my Kindle

I have had my Kindle now for about four months and have read over a dozen novels on it in that time. As much as I love reading I usually only manage one or two books a month. So right out of the gate I will say that one big positive of the Kindle is that it has allowed me to read more. Because I take it with me just about everywhere I go I have all the books on my reading list with me at all times. I have found that I am able to read more than one book at a time, assuming that they are of different genres. So whatever book I am in the mood to read at the time, it is there in my hand.

The e-ink technology is phenomenal. There is no light emitted from the screen so it is as easy on your eyes as a paper page of text. Actually, it is even easier on your eyes due to the fact that you can choose the font size that is most comfortable for you. Reading outside in the light of the bright sun? No problem.

I find that the page buttons are actually well placed. Whichever hand in which I happen to be holding the Kindle there is a next page button within easy reach of a finger or thumb on that hand. I have read the complaints about the touchy previous page button but I find no such problem when the Kindle is used in conjunction with the Kindle cover. The cover does make it easy to hold and offers that added piece of mind when carrying it around with you. I did, however, think the cover was a bit plain so I purchased a handmade canvas and deer skin Kindle cover off of eBay.

The built in Oxford dictionary is a handy little tool. Typically when I read a novel one or two words pop up with which I am unfamiliar. Pre-Kindle I would usually just skip over the word, thus missing out on the opportunity to expand my vocabulary. With the Kindle, however, the definition is just two thumb clicks away.

But what about the feel? I must admit that my major concern before purchasing the Kindle was losing that old fashioned "book feel" of the paper against by fingertips, even the smell. But a chapter into my first book the device itself just disappeared and I became engrossed in the story, just as I do with a physical book. In addition to that, it is just easier to read with the Kindle. I no longer have to keep one hand occupied holding the book open. I can lay the Kindle down on the table and read while eating. I can even, for the first time in my life, get a good cardio workout on a treadmill while reading a book. I just crank up the font size and place it on the treadmill reading stand. Reading with the Kindle is just plain more comfortable than reading the old fashioned way.

I cannot comment on the Whispernet functionality. I am currently stationed overseas and Whispernet is only available within the US. However, Amazon allows you to download your purchases directly from your online media library to your computer. From there you can connect your Kindle to your computer via a USB cable and download your books. I find it very simple and quick. One downside to this, however, is you cannot download the samples this way. As of this writing, samples can only be downloaded via Whispernet.

When I first opened my Kindle I felt the keyboard took up too much space. In fact, since I don't have access to Whispernet I was thinking I would be better off without a keyboard all together and dedicating more of the space to the screen. But now that it is there I actually find myself using the keyboard to take notes in the books I am reading. So while I initially disliked the keyboard, it has now grown on me.

The one feature of the Kindle that I could do without is the audio feature. It is a poor MP3 player because you can only use it on random shuffle and the ability to fast forward and rewind does not exist. Amazon should either ditch the MP3 player, thus making the device a little lighter and cutting down on cost, or at least make the MP3 player fully functional.

The Kindle is expensive. There is no getting around that. My hope is that they will be able to bring down the cost in the next generation of the Kindle. It has already come down about $40 since I bought mine. That being said, I have come to cherish my Kindle so much that, knowing what I know now, I likely would have been willing to pay twice the amount.

The Kindle, and e-readers in general, are not everyone. I fully respect the reasons posted here why some people would not entertain the thought of purchasing an e-reader. In the end it comes down to your own personal motivations. There are downsides to using a Kindle. With a Kindle you can only read your book on your particular Kindle. You can not loan the book to someone else when you are finished. If the books you read have a lot of graphics than the Kindle is likely not for you. It does not represent pictures well at all unles they were specifically created in gray-scale. Not all books are yet available on the Kindle, although there are enough good ones available to keep you busy for a lifetime. If you lose a paperback book it is no big deal. If you lose your, Kindle that is a significant chunk of cash down the drain. While the e-ink technology makes reading the Kindle screen in the bright sun light a very pleasant experience, it can quickly turn to fear if it begins raining.

Some just don’t want to change from the familiar feel and smell of a paper book. There is no arguing out of that one. If that is very important to you than you likely won’t be happy with an e-reader. For me, there is only one thing I want out of a book: a good story. A good story should make the paper or device disappear anyway. I get no more pleasure reading a story from a paper book than I do my Kindle, or vice versa. I do, however, get more READING done with my Kindle.

As for privacy concerns? Well, that is a personal issue. I personally could care less who knows what I am reading. Hell, I am posting under my real name so that much is obvious. If privacy is your main concern than you should probably steer clear from ordering books online altogether.

I would never try to convince someone who doesn’t want an e-reader that they should get one because it really is all a matter of taste. I just want to make sure people are awar of the plusses and minuses so they can deduce for themselves if they are in fact the “e-reader type”.

The above review was in part lifted from a review I posted on Amazon 6 weeks after I purchased the Kindle.

Excellent review. I can probably see one in my future if the price comes way down and the books I read are available.

I'd love to have a Kindle. I'm already trying to talk my guy into getting me one for chrimbo!

There's some pretty good reviews here, which has swayed me a bit further into wanting one.

I wanted to ask, are the books easy to download. I ask because I am a total technophobe, hehe.
Plus is there a good range of titles from the kindle store? And how do you pay for them?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but this little contraption totally intrigues me!

It's easier to Download books on to the Kindle then it is to post a response here. Unfortunately, you cannot download or even purchase a Kindle outside of the U.S.

It sounds really neat and I've been curious about it ever since I watched the little promo video on Amazon a while back. I'd probably really like it, but the price is just a bit much right now.

I got an email today from Amazon as a result of me purchasing a Kindle. They gave me five promotional codes to hand out. They have to be used by Oct 31 and only save you 5%, but hey, that is 18 bucks. So if you want one of them send me a PM. First come, first serve.

It's easier to Download books on to the Kindle then it is to post a response here. Unfortunately, you cannot download or even purchase a Kindle outside of the U.S.
I thought Bob Magness was outside of the U.S.? Can you not just order it from Amazon.com and they'll ship it to you?

Back