• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

My Amazon Kindle review....finally!

I couldn't figure out where to put this so here is as good as anywhere I suppose.

Last Friday and Saturday I volunteered to serve as a judge for the Central Virginia Regional Science Fair for grades 9-12. One of the behavioral sciences projects caught my eye but since I wasn't judging that category, I made a mental note to check it out later but ended up forgetting to do so. The project was on reading comprehension of printed versus electronic media. There were two groups of students. Group one was given a short story printed on paper to read and group two was to read the same story on a computer screen. Both groups were then given the same test to measure how much they remembered.

Group one scored 81.something percent and group two scored a 58.something percent.

Like I said, I did not get a chance to go back and review the project and ask the student questions but the judges that did mentioned that they were impressed with the project.

Just another data point to consider when it comes to e-readers.

well I guess if i wanted to read those books sitting in front of a computer then it didnt save me any money. Dont even bringing up reading on smart phones. Thats a Joke. So I counted what Id have to pay to get physical copies against what i had to pay to get them for free on the kindle. Not to mention the monthly freebies amazon offers to kindle owners.

Not that hard to figure out.

I have posted a few on amazon for book reviews (only 2 actually :p) I feel its also quite tempted to share a good book with other people

Tell me Isabell, can you back-up files on flash drive or something? I don't like the risk of spending money on books that are easily lost if the device is damaged.

I back up all my books onto my laptop and external harddrive just in case, amazon decides to go psycho again.

does anyone have the sony ereader?

my boyfriend says he is gonna get me one for my birthday next month but there are some questions i have that they dont answer on the website.. thought i would get someones opinion on it that actually has it...

with that thread u answered every question i had... i thought the kindle was just an online resource haha.. never took the time to read about it and that is EXACTLY what i want!!!!!!! its more expensive but toooottallly worth it

thank you ^_^

my boyfriend says he is gonna get me one [Sony Reader] for my birthday next month but there are some questions i have that they dont answer on the website.. thought i would get someones opinion on it that actually has it...

We have a Sony Reader at work. It's not bad, as almost-as-good-as-reading-an-actual-book devices go. Personally I prefer the Cybook, which weighs a lot less and doesn't have a myriad buttons, but the Sony looks good, handles EPUB, has a nice screen and doesn't tie you up to any single retailer.

Plus, since the booksellers know what women want, it will soon be available in pink.

I don't care for either of them-The Kindle itself is fine and you really don't need anything to help you hold it. I mean, c'mon--we can't be THAT lazy? The thing is a little over 10 oz and not bulky at all.

(Just a side note-Almost two years of having my Kindle and I'm still reading with it and still purchasing books in dead tree form) I'm about half and half-hopefully soon ALL books will come in the Kindle

I definitely like XKCD's solution better.

Frankly, I think even that one requires too much work. Why should I have to move my thumb to read a book?

Of course, I could probably offset that waste of energy by hooking myself up to an IV and slipping on some adult diapers.

Reminds me of an episode of The Simpsons where Homer checked himself into the old folks home.

Back