• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

My first...

Wabbit

Can you remember what your first ever SF book was, your first ever fantasy book was, and your very first horror book was that you ever read?

My first SF book was a book called Source of Evil by Mary Vigliante. I found it in an old suitcase abandoned with it's cargo of old books in the street :) I STILL have that book today!

I looked up the book on the net and could not find it. I didn't expect to find it :) The book is totally trashy lol

Blurb from the back
Beautiful, intelligent Adrianne del-2, captain of the spacecraft Logo has been ordered on a mission she finds morally wrong. An aggressive invasion of new planets! An Inexplicable series of malfunctions cripplers her ship and a mysterious voice explainers the forces which take over her ship. Will Adrianne and her people learn their lesson? What future awaits them?

I was very young at the time and I loved this book! It's what started me reading books :) I'm pretty sure that if I read it now it would be pretty crap lol But I liked it then :) On the back it says it costs $1.95 lol

My first fantasy book was... I think it was The Hobbit :) I then followed up with The Elf Stones of Shannara by Terry Brooks! I remember being really amazed at the adventure and fantastic world from of the Hobbit and wanted to read more books like that. I can still remember thinking that I must have more books like this one!

My first horror book WOW, not sure about this one... Maybe a book by Dean Koontz? I'm really not sure. I can't remember?

Share your firsts and your memories of those first books that led on this wonderful paper path of books and the worlds contained within them :)

While these may not be the first, they are the first to make an impression:

Sci Fi - A Princess of Mars, Edgar Rice Burroughs (borrowed from my brother without his knowledge:D)
Fantasy - Magic's Pawn, Mercedes Lackey
Horror - something by Stephen King, can't remember the first I read. Firestarter, maybe?

lol Does he know now that you read his book? :D

btw, how are you finding Snow Crash? I read that one and really liked it. It has a zany energy and some interesting ideas too.

This list goes back quite a few years. :D

First horror - Goosebumps, by R. L. Stine :rolleyes: it was pretty scary way back when!
First fantasy - just a guess on this one since I've been readig SF for as long as I can remember, but probably The Stone in the Meadow, by Monica Hughes.
First Sci-Fi - Surréal 3000, by Suzanne Martel. I remember loving that books back in French class. I read it way before anyone else did.

I'll scratch my brain to think of the first adult titles I read in these genres.

I had no interest in sci-fi until i read Dune at age 12, and I had no interest in fantasy until I read The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant at age 20. I dont remember ever reading any horror books.

I remember now! My first fantasy book was The Lion, The Witch and te Wardrobe! My mother used to read it to me at night before bed and sometimes I'd keep reading after she left.

SillyWabbit said:
lol Does he know now that you read his book? :D

btw, how are you finding Snow Crash? I read that one and really liked it. It has a zany energy and some interesting ideas too.

I've loaned/given him so many books now, I think we're even. :p

Am loving Snow Crash, I haven't read anything like it before (the Cyber Punk stuff.) Should've read in 10 years ago when it was first recommended to me.

I'll never forget my first fantasy: A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin. I loved it, and I've often said that I lay the blame squarely at her feet for my addiction to fantasy.

My first sci fi is probably the very first post-movies Star Wars trilogy by Timothy Zahn. The first book is called the Heir to the Throne. They were simply brilliant. The later novels to come out after this trilogy (esp the ones by Kevin Anderson) spoiled the canon, as far as I'm concerned.

Like Ashlea, my first horror is probably something by Stephen King also. Dark Half?

ds

I think my first adult fantasy was the Lord of the Rings. I read tons and tons of young adult fantasy books, but I got tired of them by the time I was mature enough to read something over 200 pages. I guess that I had enough problems at home at that point that I didn't want to delve into make-believe worlds, all I wanted was to fix the one I was in.

I can't tell you the name of the first adult sci-fi book I read, but it was a Star Trek novel. I collected Star Trek: The Next Generation novels and I'd read them during the rerun season especially.

Aside from Star Trek novels, I'm 99% sure my first real SF novel was Arthur C. Clarke's 3001: Final Odyssey. It's the only one of the series I've actually ever read.

My dad also had quite a few sci-fi short story compilations that I read like candy. It's a shame I didn't take any of those books when I moved out.

I don't read horror. Goosebumps was traumatic enough for me! :D
My boyfriend's trying to get me into Stephen King with the Dark Tower series, but the Gunslinger was just so gloomy and depressing. :(

direstraits said:
I'll never forget my first fantasy: A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin. I loved it, and I've often said that I lay the blame squarely at her feet for my addiction to fantasy.

I thought Earthsea books were great! :)

FIRST FANTASY: The Magician's Nephew, C. S. Lewis. Good, for a kid's book.

FIRST SCI-FI: One of the Star Wars books, some Young Jedi Knights series. Good for a kid's book, not very enjoyable for anyone over 13 really. CLICHES.

FIRST HORROR: Some Sweet Valley Twins 'horror' book. I stumbled across it by accident, I don't really like horror. It totally sucked.

First non-kid books would be:

Fantasy: The Ill-Made Mute
Sci-fi: Prelude to Foundation
Horror: none

Sci-fi: Isaac Asimov's The Robots of Dawn, despite it being the last of the Elijah Bailey trilogy. Asimov's one of my favourite authors though, so it must have done something right.

Fantasy: The Hobbit or The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Obviously.

I think my first fantasy book was probably The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (I read the rest of the series 2 years ago!)
First horror: definitely Stephen King, either Firestarter or Carrie.
First sci-fi: can't remember, possibly The Stainless Steel Rat (after seeing the comic adaptation in 2000AD).

A lot of you had Stephen King as your first taste of horror! :-O I must say though that I really don't like his works.

Well fantasy would include all the fairytales from when I was little, horror was the goosebumps sereies and then first fantasy was Harry Potter when I was 10 but I don't think the real fantasy stuff started untill i read lord of the rings, then I started reading fantasy.

First SF: Space Rangers by Andre Norton. I had a chance to reread it a year or two ago in an Ace Double, and it had a different title.

First Fantasy: Wind in the Willows qualifies as fantasy!

First Horror: Edgar Allen Poe short stories very likely. I also remember reading an Alfred Hitchcock Presents -type anthology of horror stories.

Trying to remember....

Hmnn. This is tricky. When I was a kid I couldn't wait to read "grown up" stuff and read very heavy things. When I got to be an adult I went back and read "kid" literature. I really enjoy the C.S. Lewis books, and books like "A Wrinkle in Time" which I skipped right past when I was young.

Horror was all the Poe I could get my hands on and some of the Lovecraft stuff.

Fantasy -- I THINK it was the Hobbit and then the LOTR set.

Science Fiction -- I don't really remember. I wasn't really into it much. I got given boxes and boxes of it by an acquaintance. I wound up donating it all to the small library in my home town, and they were so popular (they didn't have much of a Science-Fiction/Fantasy section before then) that the library started ordering and stocking a lot more of this type of book.

Back