• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

N.K. Sandars: The Epic Of Gilgamesh

I haven't read it. The Epic of Gilgamesh is next after I finally get around to my Beowulf comparisons. I think Peder, as always, is ahead of us on the curve for these two classics.

Hi Libra,
Congratulations on deciding to read it! :)
Yes, I read the Sandars translation just recently and the story of Gilgamesh was again as thrilling as I remembered it to be the first time I read it years ago. It has pre-echoes of so much of Western literature that has been written in the millennia since then, from Biblical to existentialist, that one has to rub one's eyes to believe what one is seeing. Or at least that is how it resonates with me. It is the first of the first!
I hope you really enjoy it.:flowers:

I haven't read it. The Epic of Gilgamesh is next after I finally get around to my Beowulf comparisons. I think Peder, as always, is ahead of us on the curve for these two classics.
Um, not quite. The Heaney Beowulf translation is waiting here at my left hand for me to get to it. I haven't read the saga before, but I have read John Gardner's Grendel and that is definitely worth reading as a companion piece -- a beautifully and sympathetically told story from the monster's point of view. Completely unimaginable, until you read it!

I've the Heaney version of Beowulf is in my stack too, I quite enjoyed Gilgamesh and look forward to reading the other version I own...the Gardner/Maier version.

It sounds like we are really meshing with Gilgamesh, and wolfing down Beowulf.

/"Oh, no! I can't believe he said that!" :banghead6mx: /

Back