• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Name the Novel (How's that for alliteration?)

Well if you're wondering if 'hirsuite' means concerned with hair, wonder no longer, you're quite correct. It was The Red Headed League .

Letterhead, is it 'Timeline' by Michael Crighton?

It isn't, right... Thought so...

Cheers, Martin :(

Ok, Martin, try this one. This isn't the plot of a novel but a rhymme which features in the novel. Find the rhymme and you've got the novel.

Hither and yon, they search. They try Inferno and they try Paradise.

Is it 'The Divine Comedy' by Dante Alighieri?

Cheers, Martin

ps: Letterhead, was I right about Timeline (probably not, but curious as ever).

Sorry about the delay. No, it isn't Timeline.
A further clue.
In his journey he finds science no longer works, but magic does.

The story is first of five.

Sorry Timeline, I didn't know you gave out a clue. I think your one is The Magician's Nephew of the Narnia series, by C.S. Lewis. Sorry I stuck my one in as well.

I don't know if this is right or wrong, but in order to sort this thread out, I'll tell you the rhymme which leads to the book I was thinking of:

They seek him here
They seek him there
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere,
Is it Heaven or is he in hell,
The damned elusive (Scarlet) Pimpernel!

So it must be The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy

My riddle:

A story about how easily we can be misled by ilusion of superficial beauty and only true love can overcome our vanity.

Well, that's easy, but I don't want to spoil the fun for others, so go right ahead!

Cheers, Martin :confused:

I know that it's obvious, but I wanted to have something easy for the first time. I understand that another clue:

This book affirms that experiencing a little of suffering is not only valuable, but also can be the best gift to somebody.

would be completely unnecessary.

Sorry for not replying earlier, but I've been offshore for a couple of weeks again. The book was in fact The Roaring Trumpet by L Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt, the first of the Harold Shea stories.

I am now curious about The Magician's Nephew. I'll keep an eye open for it, I would like to see what it is about.

lets get this thread going again

a book about the investigation of the murder of a repulsive murderer who has been murdered repulsively

Back