• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

National Geography,History or Discovery?

I used to watch the Discovery channel a bit but that was about 6 years ago when I actually had Sky - I can't watch any of them now :rolleyes: .

History, and History International. I love those channels! I'm so hooked on them, and if I miss something my Tivo automatically records it for me so I'm always watching something from the history channel!

I don't have National Geography, at least not that I know (don't watch much TV). I would love to know what it is about. Do they show lots of National Geographic specials? We used to love those when I was a kid. Nothing more fun than watching a couple Lions mate and then eat a Zebra. :D

Anyway. I hope this won't get everyone all upset, but I could do without the other two channels. They both have the occasional show that really rocks, but for the most part they play (and re-play and then re-play it twice more in case you missed it the first zillion times) junk. Discovery used to be good, but I feel their programming is on a downhill slide. The History Channel I truely hate. So...given the chance I will be the devil's advocate here (and I won't even have to be playing).

I used to watch the discovery channel when they had shows like Paramedics:Life on the Street and Trauma. Now, I feel like they are always showing some crap involving 1) building cars/motorcycles/something out of garbage, 2) redesigning a room in someone's house by glueing something weird to the walls and 3) the biggest airport/boat/highrise/mining tool. It's almost as bad as TLC (not sure what we are supposed to be learning there these days).

The History Channel .:shudders:. I majored in History in college, so I'm not going to jump in with the "history is sooo boring" excuse. I think this channel shows watered down and sometimes politically biased programming geared toward appeasing the American masses. How about a mini-series on the agricultural revolution or the westward expansion? They focus on programming like Mail Call, Modern Marvels and Dead Reckoning rather than mini-series, documentaries and shows about people, places, times and things that are actually significant. The shows that do focus on real history often use frequent commercial breaks and constant reiteration to make 20 minutes worth of content stretch into an hour long show. I honestly feel that they use biased interviews and twist facts in an effort to prove whatever point they are trying to make. Their conspiracy shows are the worst, I had a co-worker argue with me over an actual historical fact because "some guy on the history channel said". I'm not saying this channel never has good programming, because I have seen decent mini-series and shows. I think this channel could be a lot more educational and could dedicate more time to non-war related World, US and European history than they do to conspiracys, forensics and the history of various large pieces of machinery.

History, preferably. although there are so many Discovery channels now that there is usually something interesting on - with the exception of the Discovery channel that concerns itself with airplanes and other machinery.

Back