• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

National Novel Writing Month

SFG75

For those who don't know, November is National Novel Writing Month. There is a pledge whereby high school student pledge to write 30,000 words a month. Adults should be able to reach 50,000 according to the site.

http://nanowrimo.org/

On a whim, I joined my literature teacher and her students for their kick off writing night. A great time was had by all and everyone is off to a good start. Writing is the main focus, you are encouraged to turn off your "inner editor" and just write. The pledge is great for those who are hesitant to pick up the pen.

Anyone participate in something like this before?

It has been ages like years since I last looked at anything like that but I know that there is at least one site who offers something similar as an ongoing motivational exercise to writers. So many words per day, reach the goal for the month. I tend not to be particularly motivated by stuff like that so I don't participate which is probably why I can't even remember what the site was.

Yup, did it a couple years ago and earned my 50,000 word diploma for a first very ratty draft of my memoir.
Will be back at it this year for complete edit and rewrite, already started.
It can be a grind, but I would recommend it to anyone with the urge and an idea to get something written.

:(
This year the well was dry and I am flunking out very badly.
Good thing it is anonymous. :(
No one else?

naah I thought I might make it about half way through the month, but as I said this kind of thing doesn't motivate me exactly and even if I had managed another 15 000 words I wouldn't have bothered for a certificate that wouldn't mean much to me personally.

I'm proud to report that I made my 50,000 goal with five days to spare. My best weekend featured 5,000 words written on a friday night through sunday night. The cat doesn't know who I am any more and we are getting reacquainted, that is about the only drawback. I had a great time during this whole thing and I'm just amazed at actually having cranked something out, I honestly had no clue I had it in me. A big thing of Nanowrimo is to prove that you can do it and to just turn off your "inner critic" so to speak. I hand wrote everything, it makes me think more than if I just type it out. Of course, that makes for a *wonderful* editing opportunity if and when I decide to do that. The students had a great time and I think they were surprised as well at what they churned out. A good time was definitely had by all. I highly recommend it, even if you only do it once. If I'm every kidnapped and held hostage in a foreign country, I will know how to pass the time and challenge myself.

Back