• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

National Stereotypes

No need to apologise :)

I thought you meant the Red Square then remembered the Kremlin has red walls.

honeydevil said:
the swedes don't drink soo much because the price of the alcohol is ridiculously high. isn't it?
I think that has been a large reason. The alcohol sale is monopolized by the state to decrease alcohol consumtion in moralistic fashion. Recent EU changes regarding the amount of alcohol you can bring with you from other countries have challanged a decrease in the alcohol tax however. At least EU have been good for some things.

honeydevil said:
I'm really sorry, but the second somebody says Russia, i sea the red Place (?) and moskow, beautiful woman in a fur ...
:eek:

Ha. You mean The Red Square. Yep, that's the center of Moscow, and the most well known (but by far not the oldest) place in Russia.

As to beautiful women in furs... I prefer them somewhat lighter dressed...
But we have both aplenty.

Ice said:
No need to apologise :)

I thought you meant the Red Square then remembered the Kremlin has red walls.

There is more explanations where the Red Square comes from than one can imagine, but the red colour of contemporary Kremlin is absolutely out of the question, as the first time they called the square red, the Kremlin had been made of wood... Next version of Kremlin was made of white stone, but the square remained red again... The most popular version is that one of the words for "Red" in ancient Russia was "beautiful". We have some old songs in which "a red girl" means "a beautiful girl", so I think that explanation may be valid.

Sergo said:
There is more explanations where the Red Square comes from than one can imagine, but the red colour of contemporary Kremlin is absolutely out of the question, as the first time they called the square red, the Kremlin had been made of wood... Next version of Kremlin was made of white stone, but the square remained red again... The most popular version is that one of the words for "Red" in ancient Russia was "beautiful". We have some old songs in which "a red girl" means "a beautiful girl", so I think that explanation may be valid.
I didn't mean that the Red Sqaure was thus named because of the colour of the walls of the Kremlin. I only meant that by 'place' someone could mean a building, a site, a point of interest etc and both the above mentioned 'places' currently have something to do with being red. I automatically assumed it was the Red Square.

Thanks for the explanation though - it was very informative :)

Ice said:
I didn't mean that the Red Sqaure was thus named because of the colour of the walls of the Kremlin. I only meant that by 'place' someone could mean a building, a site, a point of interest etc and both the above mentioned 'places' currently have something to do with being red. I automatically assumed it was the Red Square.

Thanks for the explanation though - it was very informative :)

Thank you, that was a pleasure.
:)

Back