• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Native American Fiction

jturpin4

Does anyone know of any Native American Fiction authors and/or books? I think it would be a very interesting genre of books to read.. :D

I read a book earlier this year called Vancouver. It's an historical fiction book containing several stories (each of a different character), spanning thousands of years and most of the stories include Native Americans. It's set in Vancouver, Canada for the most part so of course that's what made me pick it up. It was worth the read.

Have you tried any of Tony Hillerman's novels? He does a mystery series starring Jim Chee, a Navajo Tribal Police detective, and Joe Leaphorn, his Lieutenant. It's received rave reviews and commendations from several tribal councils!

Try Sherman Alexie and Louise Erdrich for Native American fiction. They're both awesome. Alexie is a bit more accessible.

jturpin4: you could look at James Welch—I haven’t read him, but he comes recommended.

And Thomas King—have read him:Green Grass, Running Water. And he has written other novels, plus numerous short stories, poetry. A touch of magic realism, very Amerindian. King travels, promoting not his books so much as the American Indian cause, and encouraging indigenous writers in other countries. A very engaging, amusing guy. Tells a great story.

And I suppose you’ve read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee? Essential reading for anyone interested in native American issues. Little Big Man is worth a read, too.

Jenem said:
I read a book earlier this year called Vancouver. It's an historical fiction book containing several stories (each of a different character), spanning thousands of years and most of the stories include Native Americans. It's set in Vancouver, Canada for the most part so of course that's what made me pick it up. It was worth the read.
Glad to hear you liked it Jenem. I've picked it up several times at Chapters and ended up putting it back on the shelf. It seems a lot like Edward Rutherfurd's series of books (eg. Sarum, The Forest, Russka, etc.) that span many generations of the same families. How was the writing? Or did you read it mainly because it was set in Vancouver?

ell

Back