• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Naughty Bunny

Heh heh heh.

He looked like my old Daddy rabbit. We've been through more phone cables than I care to remember. We have a storage heater on the wall of the living room. Thickest piece of cable you could imagine. Well, it was once. We covered the TV cable in that really sturdy hose pipe to protect it. It didn't protect it. The convection heater we got to replace the storage heater doesn't work anymore. There was some trouble with the computer. My boyfriend was quite angry, so I didn't pry as to the exact details. I just took the rabbit and hid. Our table legs are all delightfully rounded and rustic looking. So are the bottoms of the doors. We used to have skirting boards too.

My brother babysat a couple of them for me when I was on holiday. I swear I warned him. When I went to pick them up he'd just got back from buying a replacement phone cable. When I left, he needed to buy another one. Heh heh heh. They were just showing off for their mum. Bless.

Now everything precious to us is covered with that metallic shower hose. And teflon cable wrap.

Oh. I forgot the living room rug. Rescued my boys from a shelter. They'd been starved by their previous owners, so puberty was a little late in arriving and they hadn't been neutered. Puberty hit with a vengence as soon as we got them home. The once precious rug was splattered with indelible, pungent urine. The stuff was so vicious parts of the sofa are still bleached. They even managed to stain the walls with it. I was home from work that week. I've never lived in such fear either before or since.

I won't bother reciting the catalogue of injuries. The memories are too painful. Rabbits have excellent PR. The truth is different.

lol great :)

Do you still have a pet rabbit? I ALWAYS wanted one. They are pretty cute!

Regards
SillyWabbit

Got four of the little blighters. All house bunnies. If you're prepared to rearrange your home, cover all your cables, and replace your phone every couple of months, then they make fantastic pets. Most people don't have a clue what rabbits are really like. They don't just sit around eating grass all day. They're cunning little feckers and you can't trust them an inch. But the first time you see your bunny binky you'll be prepared to forgive it anything.

I do love my rabbits. Even though they are the children of Satan.

Hmmmm, this is a dangerous line of converstion for me BUT...

1) I don't have a garden. Would it be mean to keep one here?

2) Where would you BUY a rabbit?

3) Are the expensive?

4) what are your bunnies names!?

Regards
SillyWabbit

Litany said:
Got four of the little blighters. All house bunnies. If you're prepared to rearrange your home, cover all your cables, and replace your phone every couple of months, then they make fantastic pets. Most people don't have a clue what rabbits are really like. They don't just sit around eating grass all day. They're cunning little feckers and you can't trust them an inch. But the first time you see your bunny binky you'll be prepared to forgive it anything.

I do love my rabbits. Even though they are the children of Satan.
I was surprised when I saw all the little ones (bunnies) up for adoption because they were a pain. I thought my cats were bad and then I heard about bunnies. Not that they're not cute, but I've had to rearrange enough for felines....bunnies are supposedly ten times worse.

I agree people seriously ought to know what they're getting into when they get a bunny, such a shame to see so many put into shelters because the owners didn't know.

SillyWabbit said:
Hmmmm, this is a dangerous line of converstion for me BUT...

1) I don't have a garden. Would it be mean to keep one here?

2) Where would you BUY a rabbit?

3) Are the expensive?

4) what are your bunnies names!?

Regards
SillyWabbit

1. You don't have to keep a bunny in the garden. We don't. In fact most bunnies that are kept outside end up neglected. Plus you don't get to see what a fantastic pet you have. They're social animals, and they don't respond well to being left in a cage outside. They're at risk from the elements and from predators, and they live longer when they're kept indoors.

I have window boxes full of grass and herbs, and access to a garden. But to be honest, they're happiest when they're indoors, and it's fine to keep them indoors as long as they get to run around and get fed plenty of hay.

2) I'd recommend rescuing a rabbit rather than buying a rabbit. There are loads of abandoned bunnies in the world that need good homes. Try http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/ or your local RSPCA. I found some rescue bunnies in an online free ads. The bunnies were free to a good home. The benefit of going to the RSPCA is that the bunnies will neutered and vaccinated, but they will charge you for them. If you want to buy, or there are no bunnies near you, then they have them in larger pet stores such as Pets at Home, or in garden centres, but be warned these rabbits can be somewhat maladjusted. There are loads of breeders about with unwanted bunnies. The only one I would recommend though is http://www.rossrabbits.fsnet.co.uk/ they breed for friendliness and huggability rather than for pretty coat colours and ear types. A lot of breeders are just offloading unwanted stock and you'll end up with an inbred bunny, and just free up space for them to breed more unwanted bunnies.

3) They don't come free, but they're not hugely expensive. It depends on your vet as to houw much neutering is. I'd say an average of £50. But if you're keeping a bunny indoors then you'll need it neutered. Otherwise they get angry. In my experience, neutered bunnies don't pee anywhere except their cage and litter tray, and they also limit their little curranty presents as well. They're also a lot friendlier. Plus they won't breed like rabbits.

Food is cheap. They eat lots and lots and lots of hay. They need veggies, predominantly spring greens. Steer clear of lettuce as it's not good for them. Carrots as treats as they're too sugary for every day. We supplement with pellets just to make sure they're getting everything they need, but not too many or they end up fat.

Vaccinations are maybe £15-£20, maybe a bit more if you're in an expensive area. They need to be vaccinated against myxamatosis and VHD. Even if they don't go outside, you do and you might bring something nasty home with you. Chances are you won't, but they're horrible diseases and the survival rates are very low.

Most expensive thing on a bunny is the teeth. If they don't get enough roughage in their diet they won't wear down their teeth. If the vet needs to cut their teeth, then the chances are you'll be back in the vets every 3-6 months to get it done, and insurance won't cover it. But, if they get plenty of hay, and fresh veg then it shouldn't come to that.

4. Chips. He was a rescue bunny and his brother was Daddy, but Daddy died. His name made a lot more sense back then.
http://monkeyfx.co.uk/daddyandchips/bigchips.jpg

Cassidy. Got her to be Chips' girlfriend after Daddy died. Chips went all wiggy and scared and needed some company. Cassidy cheered him up.
http://monkeyfx.co.uk/cassidy/popup.jpg
The castle was destroyed shortly after the photo was taken.

Sniper. My boyfriend's uncle bought a couple of bunnies for his children not realising that they weren't the same sex after all. When we saw the babies we fell in love. So my boyfriend claimed Sniper and brought her home.
http://monkeyfx.co.uk/lops/sniperside.jpg
Sniper doesn't pose well.

SPG. Named after the hamster in The Young Ones. Five minutes after my boyfriend brought home Sniper, I got jealous and wanted a baby bunny of my own. So I went round and claimed SPG.
http://monkeyfx.co.uk/lops/spgclose.jpg
She's the bunny that makes all the mess worth while. She purrs when she's being cuddled and she loves her mum.

Anyhoo, this is a good link for house bunny info http://www.rabbit.org/
And this is a good place for all sorts of bunny stuff http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabrefs.html

You're more than welcome. If you have a read through some of the house bunny sites you'll get a pretty good idea of what's involved in bunny ownership, and if you have any other questions then let me know. They're great pets, but like VTChEwbecca said, a lot of people don't realise what's involved so they end up being dumped in shelters. If you know what you're letting yourself in for then you can make an informed decision and if you do get a bunny you can prepare your home before it arrives and it's much more likely to be successful.

And the good thing about bunnies is they stay looking cute their whole life, which is surely a very important thing in a pet. :)

Your bunnies are so adorable....I love the pic of Sniper! I have one cat that poses for the camera and another that moves right at the second I take a pic.

She purrs? Like a cat or is it the bunny equivalent?

It's the bunny equivalent of a purr. They gently grind their teeth together and it makes this tiny purring sound. Not to be confused when they grind their teeth really hard and make a very loud noise which apparently means they're in pain. I've been told you'd know that noise if you heard it, but thankfully I've never heard it.

With ours, they pose beautifully for the camera, you press the button, and the little buggers hop off so you're left with this really blurry shot of a furry arse.

Please note: I said 'furry arse' not 'hairy ass'.

Back