• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind (Kaze no Tane no Nausicaa)

Themistocles

I've ranted about this graphic novel, the sublime genius that is Hayao Miyazaki's masterpiece, several times since I joined this forum but have yet to hear much of it from anyone else. I wondered if anyone else had read it (or indeed seen the film), and what they thought of it?

Essentially a future-fantasy tale set in a world ravaged by an immensely destructive war known as the Seven Days of Fire, it is in equal parts saddening, uplifting, epic, placid, dramatic and intensely moving. The thirteen years that Miyazaki put into it show through, creating something truly wonderful.

Read the first few pages here

It's worth it, I promise you!

SillyWabbit - The manga goes so much further than the anime, and, though the film is still excellent, I think the original is infinitely superior.

EDIT: Oh, and lies, judging by your avatar it should be right up your street!

Have read Nausicaa books 1, 2, and 3 of the "perfect collection" published by Viz.
I really enjoyed it; the story, characters, artwork make for a great read. My only disappointment was reading a small format book and unable to see all the fantastic detailed artwork.
At first some of the characters seemed similar in appearance (e.g. Nausicaa's guards) but was able to differentiate them and understand the military and other plot details on a second reading.
I like that Hayao drew the characters in a realistic style. The people of Nausicaa's world are of different ethnicities and a reader can see that in their clothing, speech and actions not just their features.
I will find the next chapters, hopefully in a larger format and continue the adventure.

Back