• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Neal Stephenson: Snow Crash

Hmm... I'm not sure, man. I'm inclined to think Stephenson books are very similar stylistically speaking. If you can't get through one Stephenson book because you can't stand the way he frames his stories then I'm inclined to think you won't like the rest. But if it's the story you're bothered with, then why not try something a little contemporary in setting e.g. Cryptonomicon?

ds

I'm reading Snow Crash - and really enjoying it. I can see me forcing a lot of my friends to read this one.

Hmm... I'm not sure, man. I'm inclined to think Stephenson books are very similar stylistically speaking. If you can't get through one Stephenson book because you can't stand the way he frames his stories then I'm inclined to think you won't like the rest. But if it's the story you're bothered with, then why not try something a little contemporary in setting e.g. Cryptonomicon?

ds

I suppose so but Snow Crash was over the top fun while The Diamond Age was just dark and bleak with little of the comedy in Snow Crash.

I want to have a look at this Snow Crash. What's it actually about?

It's about a katana-wielding pizza delivery boy/hacker and a 15-year-old skater girl who have to save the world from a cyberthreat that has roots all the way back to ancient Sumer. On a somewhat deeper level, it's about the idea that the core code of humanity, the thought patterns that make us conscious, can be hacked and crashed the same way that a computer can be crashed if a virus corrupts the data on the hard drive. It's all very Burroughsian in a way. Except there's also a guy with a nuclear bomb wired to his pulse.

It's about a katana-wielding pizza delivery boy/hacker and a 15-year-old skater girl who have to save the world from a cyberthreat that has roots all the way back to ancient Sumer. On a somewhat deeper level, it's about the idea that the core code of humanity, the thought patterns that make us conscious, can be hacked and crashed the same way that a computer can be crashed if a virus corrupts the data on the hard drive. It's all very Burroughsian in a way. Except there's also a guy with a nuclear bomb wired to his pulse.

Sooooo . . . nothing too complicated or insane then. Excellent.

Back