• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

need help finding a good fantasy book.

Iced

well I'm looking for a fantasy book with not too much fighting,
something like The farseer(Robin Hobb) / Lyonesse(Jack Vance).
:)

Mike

Have you read Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn? There's some fighting, but it's mostly quite sanitized, though there are a few unpleasant bits. Definitely a girly fantasy novel, not that I'm saying you like girly books or anything.

Haven't read either of the ones you've mentioned, so apologies if it doesn't even remotely fit the criteria. :eek:

I'll get my coat. :(

Hey, I resent that I enjoyed Rawn's two Dragon Prince trilogies and in no way found them to be girly books. But in case they are then I state that apparently I like girly books, so there. :p

Ben Holiday said:
Hey, I resent that I enjoyed Rawn's two Dragon Prince trilogies and in no way found them to be girly books. But in case they are then I state that apparently I like girly books, so there. :p

I like them too. The second trilogy isn't very girly, but the first book with all the shennanigans at the fair and the amount of time dedicated to describing dresses, jewellery and make-up is quite blatantly girly. They even get a new ring every time they get better at sunrunning. You can't tell me that a reward system based round jewellery isn't a little girly. :D

while the jewelry thing taken out of context is a bit girly, i didn't find the books themselves girly. In fact, they were too hardcore for my taste, I decided against reading the 2nd trilogy.

Now I have read it, I can tell you that Stardust by Neil Gaiman is a very good fantasy book, without any battle!
(thank you SillyWabbit! ) :)

Stardust is definetely good, but I'd have to say go with the Sevenwaters trilogy first. They are honestly some of the best books I have ever read. Also, try the Rhapsody trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon.

Rafael said:
Does anybody know of any novel that has adult contents and issues.
The old V and S? :D

If I'm guessing correctly what the V and S stand for, the Robin Hobb books already mentioned have a fair bit of both!

Rafael said:
Does anybody know of any novel that has adult contents and issues.
The old V and S? :D

What you're definately looking for is the Kushiel's Legacy trilogy by Jacqueline Carey. It's a fantastic series beginning with Kushiel's Dart.... and plenty of sex too ;) Robb is actually pretty tame, at least, after Carey it is :rolleyes:

If your not looking for epics or trilogies:

Little,Big by John Crowley doesnt' have much (any?) violence that i remember and is very hightly regarded by critics (and me :cool: ).

Yobmod X

You might could try Terry Brooks. I've only read the first of The Word and the Void series (Running With the Demon) but it was awesome and there wasn't too much fighting in it.

Back