• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

need help sorting a word list

mr_michel

kickbox
how would you go about, sorting a large name list acording to the number of duplications, i.e. most repeated name on top, and less repeated name on botom?

can you suggest any program or explain me how to, if it can do be done on excell or word?

i know how to get rid of the duplicates but first i need to sort the list acording to that criteria.

thx.

Where is your name list stored, Mr Michel? Is it in an Excel spreadsheet, or a Word document, or a database?

If it is a database, I can try to help you out. I truly, sadly, suck at Excel. I have problems formulating anything of use in it. If you know how to remove duplicates from an Excel spreadsheet, you can teach me. :)

ds

its in a txt file
dont know how to delete duplicates in excell, i was thinking of sorting under a frequency criteria, and then copying the sorted list to another program to remove duplicates

edit. think i figured out in excell, but it only has 65'000 cells in a sheet, and it frozen :( , ill get back at you about how to delete the dupes

ok, here is how

lets supouse that your list starts at A2 and end at A30
first you order your list alphabetically, then in the next free colum (lets say B) you click in the first cell (b2 in this example) and go to the fx tool, go to the statistical menu, and choose the "count.if" funtion (my excell is in spanish so maybe im translating wrong). and enter as field, a2:a40 and then as referer a2. the result cell should look like count.if(a2:a40;a2), you need to change it so it looks as count.if(a2:$a30;a2), then from cell b2 drag and fill cell b3 to b30, this will show the number of duplicates from each cell downward, once you have done this, go to data and click on auto filter, this should enable some scroll down menus on top of each column, go to de scroll menu on top of collumn B, and choose 1.
this should do the trick ;)

sadly this doesnt solve my problem, since im talking about huge lists, its not practical, neither can i fit them on excell, and excell will freeze when i try to do somethin to a really big lists, so i still apreciate any advise :)

i solved my problem for now, i found a code for a macro on word, that does the job (is very slow -30 minutes for 22000 words- , but its better than nothing). so if anyone is interested, i can post the code.

or if anyone knows about a program that can do this in a faster way...

Can you use MS Word Sort function for what you need? It sorts by text, number or date. In the Menu bar -> Table -> Sort

Occlith, you can use sort, but it doesn't sort by number of duplicates found. At least not that I know of.

Mr_michel, I'm so sorry! :) Here you are asking for help and you end up posting stuff for me. Plus you solved it yourself...

Well done, anyway. And thanks for the code.

ds

An even easier approach would be to import the list in a Microsoft Access table and then create a Totals query.

i.e.

SELECT Count([FieldName])
FROM YourTable
ORDER BY Count([FieldName]);

Should do it in seconds. ;)

dont worry, at the end i came to some cracking forums, and got a couple incredible (and quite fast) tools for wordlists.
if anyone is interested i can give the links for the tools

Back