• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Need some suggestions to get myself into reading

iFayt

Hello, ive never been much of a reader. thinking back, the only books ive ever read was 1984 and maybe a couple of goosebumps books. Now that im a little bit older and mature, I want to try and start reading. Im a slow...very slow reader and usually get bored extremely quickly. Im going to buy the wife a eReader for our anniversary and was thinking about picking myself up one as well so I can read whereever I go.

I need help finding some books that are not too difficult of a read that would be a good target for my low reading level. I was thinking about maybe starting with the harry potter series because I hear its very simple and entertaining. My interests are Space/Mystery/Comedy.

I want to start up reading because I hear it expands your vocabulary and in general makes you more knowledgeable. I love to read bedtime stories to my kids and would love to be able to read to them without studdering over simple words.

Please help me by suggesting some Books to start with and maybe a few books to work towards as my reading level increases.

Thanks in advance!

Good for you for reading aloud to your kids! That's the best thing you could be doing for all of you as far as books and reading go. The more you read aloud, the better you will be at it. I would advise you to expand your reading aloud repertoire to include non-fiction and biographies on any topic that interests you and/or your kids. Since you are reading to them, the book doesn't have to be on their reading level.. it just needs to be interesting and informative. The choices are legion for the 9-12 age bracket.

For yourself, I'd say start with those non-fiction kids books and expand as you find something interesting. For instance, Robert Ballard has some kid books about his finding the Titanic and other sunken ships. He also has an adult non fiction title for the Titanic, with more information.

Mysteries? The sky is the limit.. but I loved Virginia Lanier's Bloodhound series and the Ballad Series by Sharyn McCrumb. The first title is If Ever I Return Pretty Peggy-0, which is the weakest book in the series, imho. Don't even start there..Go for The Rosewood Casket or The Ballad of Frankie Silver instead. I also liked Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon series..Again, you don't have to read in order, so try Blood Lure or Endangered Species first.
Have fun with this and remember, there really isn't a wrong way here..unless you just don't read at all.

PS: My friend who tutors my youngest son tells me that the best way to improve his reading aloud abilities is to have him read something HARD for him.. like Macbeth. By reading aloud something tough, it forces one's brain to work on deciphering each word, not relying on guess work. When he gets to a tough word, he is to stop and spell it out and then work on the sounds. The goal of this practice is not comprehension at this time, but to train the brain to think about the phonetics. As he practices this, it strengthens his reading overall, and will make reading aloud much easier.

If you like space and comedy, how about Douglas Adams' The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy?

I'll have to look at the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. I saw the movie and it was horrible though. Basically I was just wondering if there are "Staple" books that are very good reads. I've looked up a bunch of "Top 100 must read books" but didnt really help me.

And everyone who loved the books will probably agree with you. :cool: The movie was horrible.

That goes for so many movies with novel ties..always best to read the book first when possible. Unless of course you find movies taht are so different from the book that it doesn't matter...The Princess Diaries comes to mind:lol:

Hello, ive never been much of a reader.

I must have read thousands of books by now - I envy you the start of a journey that is incomparable. You can never be lonely if you have a good book that you like to read.

An author for mature adults that I read at a very young age is Nevil Shute. Old fashioned books, but not dated. Simply written, but mature and heartwarming stories, most of his books. About ordinary people dealing with extraordinary circumstances. Not very long, but they are full length novels.

Trustee from the Tool Room, Kindling, The Chequer Board are good ones to start with. If you like him, there are plenty more.

Try Have Space Suit—Will Travel is a science fiction novel for young readers by Robert A. Heinlein, Fairly simple to read. I love it. And Harrt Potter is a very good series for struggling readers.

Remember that reading well is about practice. And keep a dictionary handy so you can learn what the confusing words mean.

A really light mystery series that's quick and easy to read would be the Spellman series by Lisa Lutz. (mystery)
I like Tim Downs' Bug man series (mystery).
There's always the classics like Poirot's casebook, Agatha Christie's works, or Doyle's Sherlock Holmes.
J.A. Jance does some pretty decent mysteries. I prefer the Ali Reynolds series but she's also got the JP Beaumont series.

(My book fits into Christian mystery if you're into that.*shrug*)

I really liked The Midnighters series by Scott Westerfeld. They are really good books you should give them a try.

Back