• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Neil Gaiman's Marvel 1602

Ok, I remember the Scarlet Witch from The Avengers comics, she used to be married to Vision. I don't remember Quicksilver at all. Who is Virginia Dare supposed to be?

No really. She really is a real person. She's just not
monster.
:D

But then actually, one'd never know about that for sure, right?

ds

Virginia Dare

Pages 14-15
Panel 2: The maid on deck is Virginia Dare, the first child (of English decent) born (though not conceived) in the New World. Her parents, Ananias and Eleanor Dare, were among the 120 or so men, women, and children who left England on 8 May 1587 to establish a settlement in the New World; Eleanor was already quite pregnant with Virginia upon their departure. The expedition, aboard their ship the Lion, was sponsored by Sir Walter Raleigh, who had intended for the colony to be established in the area of Chesapeake Bay. The ship’s captain landed instead on Roanoke Island -- off the coast of North Carolina near Virginia -- which had been the site of an earlier, unsuccessful attempt at colonization. Eleanor gave birth to Virginia on 18 August 1587, just days after their arrival. Virginia’s baptism the following Sunday was the second recorded in North America, the first being of an Indian chief a few days earlier.

The colony began to flounder almost immediately; on 27 August 1587 (just days after Virginia’s birth),

Thanks for all the info! I finished it last nite. I really enjoyed it, half the fun was guessing who was who. So is there going to be a sequel or what?

I don't know. I haven't heard anything from Gaiman. But here's what Jay wrote (in this thread above):
Jay said:
Back on-topic:
From Wizard 165, July 2005-08-03
“1602: New World
Greg Pak continues Neil Gaiman’s Old World tale
-For Marvel’s oldest heroes, new creators mean new adventures on a new continent, when writer Greg Pak (X-Men: Phoenix-Endsong) and artist Greg Tocchini (Thor: Son of Asgard) take on 1602: New World.
The five-issue miniseries, following up the Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert smash hit, takes the story from Europe to the American colonies, “a place of enormous diversity,” Pak says; “Native Americans, English colonists, Spanish conquistadors, escaped African slaves, and of course, Witchbreed” –mutants. “How do all those different people come together into a thing we call America?”
While tight-lipped about what roles the first mini’s heroes will play, Pak does promise plenty of new faces.
“We’ll absolutely introduce some key Marvel heroes,” Pak says, “and I think fans will get a big kick out of who’ll show up and how we’re using them.”
Article written by Dylan Brucie.

Back