• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

"New adult" fiction

beer good

Would you read novels aimed at 'new adults'? | Books | guardian.co.uk

Publishers love creating new genres in order to try to sell more books and the newest addition to the genre pool is "new adult" fiction. That's the label that has been created for books in which the main characters transform from teenagers into adults and try to navigate the difficulties of post-adolescent life: first love, starting university, getting a job, and so on.

The new genre is meant to be for readers aged 14-35 but how likely is it that a 14-year-old reader would enjoy the same story as a 35-year-old? There may be issues with the content – a story set in a university could include adult language and themes that are either inappropriate for a 14 or 15-year old – or, more likely, what one age group finds exciting may simply be boring for the other.

The book that has sparked this flurry of marketing excitement, Tammara Webber's, Easy, begins with the main character being raped. Is "new adult" a sufficient enough warning to younger readers that the content of the book may be darker than an old-style "young adult" book, or does it just muddy the waters even further?

Personally I'm launching "two-legged mammal fiction" the first chance I get. I think it could be big.

I think including twenty five to thirty five year olds as part of the 'new adult' demographic might be overstretching it a bit.

Like I said: two-legged mammal fiction.

(The fourlegged ones are a future market. They don't usually have money, true, but then again, 20 years ago the 9-13-year-olds didn't either.)

It sounds like just the latest attempt, so far successful through many years, at getting "adult" themes wedged into younger and younger age levels -- I think on the rationale that "well, they know and do it all already, anyway."

/and I won't even bother with a sad smiley/

I think including twenty five to thirty five year olds as part of the 'new adult' demographic might be overstretching it a bit.

Given the fact that we have the highest number of 30+ year old "kids" moving back home with mom and dad, I would say it's a viable option.

Ooops. I meant boy. I'll edit my post accordingly.

Interestingly enough, on the female side of the equation, the fascination with these "Vampire romance" novels and 50 Shades makes sense.

Every kid? A good proportion of kids are female, also any kid over interested in two limits access to three...

:rofl: but untrue.

Back