• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New BAR Admins - SuperReaderGirl & Nifty - Saying Hello

Sure, if it makes you happy. Text comes over in different ways to different people, so yup.

Good now that we both agree:

The following I post as a forum administrator/owner of over 12 years and not as a potential member. I've worked with a lot of admins over the years, helping them to build, rebuild, change, write rules etc, so I'm going to put that hat on now

Given that you say you've worked with a lot of forum admins does 'blunt' entirely cut it, or does politeness come with a fee?

'Sure, whatever makes you happy' is the phrase you used and 'blunt' can also be regarded as impolite...

I'm just curious as to how these professional relationships work.
Irrelevant to this thread. I think what you're trying to do is move the focus away from what is happening (or not happening) on BAR so, with that said, I'm going to leave you to your word games and wait to see what happens here over the next week or so.

Irrelevant to this thread. I think what you're trying to do is move the focus away from what is happening (or not happening) on BAR so, with that said, I'm going to leave you to your word games and wait to see what happens here over the next week or so.

Your self proclaimed credentials weren't irrelevant when it suited you.

@consciousbob - do you just argue for the hell of it because that's how you get your jollies or do you actually have a point? Seems to me that attacking some one that is actually trying to get something going is entirely counterproductive. Seems like you are trying to flush what's left of the site down the toilet.

@consciousbob - do you just argue for the hell of it because that's how you get your jollies or do you actually have a point? Seems to me that attacking some one that is actually trying to get something going is entirely counterproductive. Seems like you are trying to flush what's left of the site down the toilet.

The point is this site belongs to new site owners that don't necessarily require 'blunt advice' that they didn't ask for in the first instance.

I don't see you rushing to defend them or indeed the current moderators.

Counterproductive in your world means I don't stick the boot into the individuals you don't like...

I wrote this reply to the discussion yesterday, & apparently it didn't post due to connection issues: Nifty & I are currently at ForumCon in San Francisco, and I'm getting some good ideas for how to improve our forum and build a stronger community. :) We'll come up with some improvements next week. Thank you for wanting to be here and see the site thrive!
---------
Let's try and keep this thread to constructive criticism. We could also start a new thread for ideas to improve the forum's success. Please keep in mind that I am new to forum ownership/management & am trying to do what is best, but am learning as I go.

I wrote this reply to the discussion yesterday, & apparently it didn't post due to connection issues: Nifty & I are currently at ForumCon in San Francisco, and I'm getting some good ideas for how to improve our forum and build a stronger community. :) We'll come up with some improvements next week. Thank you for wanting to be here and see the site thrive!
---------
Let's try and keep this thread to constructive criticism. We could also start a new thread for ideas to improve the forum's success. Please keep in mind that I am new to forum ownership/management & am trying to do what is best, but am learning as I go.

The best way to learn, in all spheres, is to do, or as the old saying goes - practice makes perfect.

Glad to see the change in management, I suspect 99.9% of people are likewise in agreement that it was for the better.

My ideas

-When selecting moderators, don't choose a newbie who doesn't know the forum, the members, or who doesn't appreciate reading and controversial viewpoints. Please pick someone who likes books, not someone who is a friend or family member who thinks they would do a good job, but who doesn't read extensively. Also, it's hard to respect a moderator who hasn't put in their time here.

-A moderator should be able to be removed by a majority vote of the forum's active membership.

-Please go through the membership roster and weed out people who haven't posted in two years or longer.

-The writers section has always been an untapped strength for the forum. Have forum members serve as a panel of judges once or twice a year in genre specific writing contests.

-Find a person who does book podcasts and see if they would be willing to devote some time to our members calling in or talking with writers who have posted material at B&R.

-Don't ever do something like the ICE forum thing again. People are either members or they aren't.

-Things won't change over night, summer time is always slow on forums, so take a deep breath and get ready for the fall. :)

Glad to see the change in management, I suspect 99.9% of people are likewise in agreement that it was for the better.

My ideas

-When selecting moderators, don't choose a newbie who doesn't know the forum, the members, or who doesn't appreciate reading and controversial viewpoints. Please pick someone who likes books, not someone who is a friend or family member who thinks they would do a good job, but who doesn't read extensively. Also, it's hard to respect a moderator who hasn't put in their time here.

-A moderator should be able to be removed by a majority vote of the forum's active membership.

-Please go through the membership roster and weed out people who haven't posted in two years or longer.

-The writers section has always been an untapped strength for the forum. Have forum members serve as a panel of judges once or twice a year in genre specific writing contests.

-Find a person who does book podcasts and see if they would be willing to devote some time to our members calling in or talking with writers who have posted material at B&R.

-Don't ever do something like the ICE forum thing again. People are either members or they aren't.

-Things won't change over night, summer time is always slow on forums, so take a deep breath and get ready for the fall. :)

Sounds good to me. All of them. Of course they won't happen.

Sounds good to me. All of them. Of course they won't happen.

Yeah if you were in charge you would have the old place whipped into shape wouldn't you.

I note that SuperGirlReader's invitation to shape a future BAR newsletter has had no replies so far. Plenty of people around want to tell the new owners what they're doing wrong but when they ask for opinion on something specific...

Perhaps one could run a poll to find out what kinds of books people here actually like to read, since so few books actually get any sort of discussion at all down in BOTM anymore. In addition, one might just also find out whether people here respond to polls any more, or not. Reading and discussing seem to be passé on this forum. And one might also look at the stats to see how many read, as compared to how many come here for homework, or to play games, or talk music, or photography, or whatever else just once, other than read. OH suggests it might be an entry poll when a person first signs in. Optional of course; we don't want to scare them away by mentioning books.

Where have all the readers gone,
Long time wondering
Peder/Beatles

Back