• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New James Lee Burke

753C

For any James Lee Burke fans, there will be a new Dave Robicheaux mystery out on July 23rd.

From Amazon

"Louisiana Sherriff’s Detective Dave Robicheaux and his longtime friend and partner Clete Purcel are vacationing in Montana’s spectacular Big Sky country when a series of suspicious events leads them to believe their lives—and the lives of their families—are in danger. In contrast to the tranquil beauty of Flathead Lake and the colorful summertime larch and fir unspooling across unblemished ranchland, a venomous presence lurks in the caves and hills, intent on destroying innocent lives. First, Alafair Robicheaux is nearly killed by an arrow while hiking alone on a trail. Then Clete’s daughter, Gretchen Horowitz, whom readers met in Burke’s previous bestseller Creole Belle, runs afoul of a local cop, with dire consequences. Next, Alafair thinks she sees a familiar face following her around town—but how could convicted sadist and serial killer Asa Surette be loose on the streets of Montana? Surrette committed a string of heinous murders while capital punishment was outlawed in his home state of Kansas. Years ago, Alafair, a lawyer and novelist, interviewed Surette in prison, aiming to prove him guilty of other crimes and eligible for the death penalty. Recently, a prison transport van carrying Surette crashed and he is believed dead, but Alafair isn’t so sure. Says The Plain Dealer (Cleveland), “Already designated a Grand Master by the Mystery Writers of America, Burke should get another title, say, for sustained literary brilliance in his Dave Robicheaux series.” Light of the World is a harrowing novel that examines the nature of evil and pits Dave Robicheaux against the most diabolical villain he has ever faced."

I will need to buy a pack of hot dogs to go with all my relish. :)

Being from (and currently residing in) Louisana, I love all of the Robicheaux mysteries. While sometimes the plots get a little repetitive, I only have to drive down the road for an hour or two and I can see a shack that looks exactly how Burke described it. Every one of his novels is like watching a painter go to work on a canvass and then having the oppurtinity to meet the model. Thanks for the post. I didn't know there was a new one coming out.

I did just snag the new Spenser novel though :cool:.

I agree JGL! Burke is a masterfully descriptive story teller.
Who is Spenser??

I agree JGL! Burke is a masterfully descriptive story teller.
Who is Spenser??

Maybe Robert Parker - when he died someone contracted to finish a book he was writing, if memory serves. Spenser was a character in his books.

Ahhh, I see. Didn't even know those were books. I just remember the TV show. :)
I googled the author though and now I might have to check into them.

Sorry about the late reply. I was out of service range, and just got back.

Yeah, they contracted a guy named Ace Atkins to continue the character. He's got potential, but he isn't Parker. Parker was a master of dialogue and Atkins is clearly still a novice. That said, I'd recommend any of the Spenser novels. As a series, they're excellent.

Light of The World – James Lee Burke :star3:

So, I finished this over the weekend, and have mixed feelings. Burke's writing is, as always, a pure pleasure to read, but.... this one just seemed to drag a little bit for me. Too many repetitive themes and too many philosophical digressions into the nature and origins of evil. Maybe it's because I've read the entire series (some books multiple times), but it pained me to realize that I sort of want Dave and Clete to retire for real and just live happily ever after. Lol. Either that, or have Burke sort of reboot the series and go back in time to the beginnings of their careers, or maybe even back to Vietnam. It is too hard for me to imagine a couple of guys their age getting into this much trouble and walking away from it all alive.

One thing I did enjoy was the crossover injection of a character from his Billy Bob Holland series, the psychotic rodeo clown, anti-hero, Wyatt Dixon. Dixon is one of the most complex characters Burke has invented. A man who inflicts ridiculous amounts of physical punishment on people that he doesn't like, but who seems to have a bit of a warm fuzzy side as well. Outlaw bikers and hardened criminals cross the street to avoid him, yet he speaks in tongues at open air religious revivals. Go figure.

Anyway, for Burke fans, you'll probably love it. If you haven't read him I wouldn't recommend starting with this book. It assumes too much knowledge of past stories and at 560 pages it felt just a bit too long.

Back