• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Neal Stephenson Aug. 7

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Some Remarks: Essays and Other Writing

Stephenson ponders a wealth of subjects, from movies and politics to David Foster Wallace and the Midwestern American College Town; video games to classics-based sci-fi; how geekdom has become cool and how science fiction has become mainstream (whether people admit it or not); the future of publishing and the origins of his novels. Playful and provocative, Some Remarks displays Stephenson's opinions and ideas on:

• The Internet, our dwindling national attention span, and the cultural importance of books and bookishness
  • Waco, religion, and the cluelessness of secular society
  • Metaphysics and the battle between Isaac Newton and Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz
  • The laying of the longest wire on Earth—and why it matters to you
  • Technology, freedom, commerce, and the Chinese
  • How Star Wars and 300 mirror who we are today and what that spells for our future
  • Modern Jedi knights, a.k.a. scientists and technologists, and why they are admired and feared by both the left and the right

YES!

Have you read In the Beginning was the Command Line? I read it and remember loving it. I don't remember the details now (which is really sad, since almost all the non-fiction I read I retain probably about less than 5%-8%).

But it was great. :D

Thanks for the information re: The Mongoliad , I will look for it, have enjoyed Stephenson's point of view and several novels. Although I still enjoy book form, not a kindle fan yet. :innocent:

Reading it now. Some pieces are obviously dated, like the 1997 piece on the internet in China but some of the stuff is good. Really good.

Back