• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Neal Stephenson Sept 20: "Reamde: A Novel"

Amazon sent me an email telling me that there is an updated version available.

We're writing about your past Kindle purchase of Reamde: A Novel by Neal Stephenson. The version you received had Missing Content that have been corrected.

An updated version of Reamde: A Novel (ASIN:B004XVN0WW) is now available. It's important to note that when we send you the updated version, you will no longer be able to view any highlights, bookmarks, and notes made in your current version and your furthest reading location will be lost.

I am glad I was not very far into it.

Oh, and the update is optional.

I ran it. Not like the electronic version misprints will carry the same value as the print versions of olde.

Aye.

I am just glad I only had to hit the next button about a hundred times to get to where I left off pre-Apostropocalypse

But what if the omissions are in the beginning of the book?

I think you should start over, just in case.

I find it amusing people are getting worked up over a voluntary and optional update. Plus the email says you will lose all notes and such. People love to complain I guess.

OK, so I finished this during my long-ass impromptu layover at CDG on Saturday.

I loved it. Take one part Snow Crash, add two parts William Gibson contemporary Cyberpunk stuff (minus the ultra-hip techno-Hipsters), a generous dollop of post-9/11 Tom Clancy, and blend on HIGH for 30 seconds and you get REAMDE. It's a quick, action-packed read that did not disappoint.

Hell, it even has a nice, tidy ending. inorite?

:star4:

Well it got shuffled back a bit over the holidays but I finally got 'round to it.

Thoroughly enjoyable, as expected. There was a bit of drag around the 3/4 mark where I think it could have been a little less detailed, but the last bit more than made up for it.
I was actually routing for the cat to be the one to have the honor of taking out Jones. ;)

What I learned from this awesome thread is the word 'inorite'.

And Neal is pretty good at finishing up tidy, yo! Diamond Age and Snow Crash were ok, yo!

This is one of the few Stephenson books where I felt there was a "real" ending and me not looking up from the book and saying "what the ****?"

Back