• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New Neal Stephenson Sept 20: "Reamde: A Novel"

sparkchaser

Administrator and Stuntman
Staff member
Neal Stephenson has a new book coming out: Reamde: A Novel

The #1 New York Times bestselling author of Anathem, Neal Stephenson is continually rocking the literary world with his brazen and brilliant fictional creations—whether he’s reimagining the past (The Baroque Cycle), inventing the future (Snow Crash), or both (Cryptonomicon). With Reamde, this visionary author whose mind-stretching fiction has been enthusiastically compared to the work of Thomas Pynchon, Don DeLillo, Kurt Vonnegut, and David Foster Wallace—not to mention William Gibson and Michael Crichton—once again blazes new ground with a high-stakes thriller that will enthrall his loyal audience, science and science fiction, and espionage fiction fans equally. The breathtaking tale of a wealthy tech entrepreneur caught in the very real crossfire of his own online fantasy war game, Reamde is a new high—and a new world—for the remarkable Neal Stephenson.

Yoink! Preordered.

1056 pages. Yikes.

Forbes has an interview with him.

In REAMDE, Neal Stephenson puts aside big ideas and philosophical discourses in favor of action, adventure, and lots of shooting. It’s a thriller, fast-paced and exciting, and it’s as much fun to read as anything he’s written.

A 1000+ page Snow Crash? Yes please.

A lot of your books have a big idea –you’re exploring cryptography, or nanotechnology, or quantum mechanics. But REAMDE seems to skip that, and focus on adventure.

I think that’s absolutely correct and it was a somewhat conscious decision. I would say I went about as far as one could go in the direction of writing the big idea novel with Anathem. I’m very pleased with how Anathem came out, I’m glad I wrote it, but I don’t necessarily want every book I write to be that way from now on. So when I was thinking about what to do next, I thought a nice little change in pace would be to delve into just plot, an aspect of the writer’s art that I happen to enjoy, and wanted to have some fun with.

The Kindle makes it too easy to buy books so I don't visit Amazon while on my Kindle.

Who needs the Kindle? Some jerk on another forum links you and you click "Buy". When I get home there it will be, stacked up in queue like the other 20 unread books.

Inorite? If not for them I wouldn't even have known about today's release and would have saved $17.:angry:

I keep convincing myself that spending all this money on books is okay. They're books right. Those words just fall into your brain, making you a little smarter surely? If only just increasing/testing/practising your vocabulary... <sigh> sooooo broke...

Books, music, Cloud Drives.

arrrrrr. Amazon is the devil. Google shall one day team up with them, take all of our money and rule the planet as our machine overlords.

I saw it in London last week. Heavy-looking book. Didn't buy it in hardback as it would probably have screwed up my luggage limit on the return flight.

I keep convincing myself that spending all this money on books is okay. They're books right. Those words just fall into your brain, making you a little smarter surely? If only just increasing/testing/practising your vocabulary... <sigh> sooooo broke...

Hey, it could be worse. It's not like you're on crack or a compulsive gambler or something like that. Those people can go through some serious money. Or you could be spending horrendous amounts buying organic meat and produce from Whole Foods or something completely insane like that. A few bucks here and there for books is a small indulgence in the greater scheme of things.

OK, so I put Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe on hold because I wanted to get started on this ASAP. My Kindle tells me I am only 3% through it but so far I like it. He has come up with a really novel MMORPG concept. I also like how the protagonist hires Asperger's spectrum programmers.

OK, so I put Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe on hold because I wanted to get started on this ASAP. My Kindle tells me I am only 3% through it but so far I like it. He has come up with a really novel MMORPG concept. I also like how the protagonist hires Asperger's spectrum programmers.

Glad to hear it, Sparky.

We picked it up last night with hopes based on memories of his better works. Sounds like a lucky guess. /fingers crossed/ :whistling:

Back