• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

New user with "well-written" thriller query

jackypaper

kickbox
Hello. I've come in hopes of getting recommendations for new books, particularly thrillers and mysteries.

But here's the rub: I enjoy reading for the writing first and the plot second. Most paperbacks I pick up sound as if they could have been written by the same author. Though the plots might be interesting, the writing is bland, or full of cliches, or both.

I love books that make me stop and read a sentence over again because it was so well crafted. I like a sense of poetry in what I read. My favorite authors are John Burdett, who writes thrillers set in Thailand, and Jeff Long, who specializes in thrillers set in the world of rock-climbing. I am not especially interested in either Thailand or rock-climbing, but both men write with style; they don't sound like any other writers. They make me read their sentences twice.

Could someone please suggest an author (of any genre, really) who pays particular attention to narrative voice and writing style? Generally bestselling authors do not appeal to me, simply because they must write to the widest possible audience and are probably more concerned with plot and character.

Hmmm. I think I'm sounding somewhat like a snob. :) But it's just that I love the written word and get excited when I find an author who uses the English language in original ways. (My all-time favorite writer is Ray Bradbury, a master of style.)

Thanks in advance to all!

Funny thing is I live in Thailand and do rock climbing so I also like these writers. I think John LeCarre and Lawrence Block are two writers who have a very unique and entertaining style of writing.

Thanks for the suggestions! I've read some LeCarre, and he certainly has his own style. In fact, I can still remember one of his lines: "In every explosion there is a miracle."

I will give Lawrence Block a try.

Back