• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Newly unemployed, relocated, and pregnant!

Melissa

I just wanted to take a moment and say "Hello!" to everyone and introduce myself!

Over the course of 2 months I have found my life COMPLETELY changed from everything I've ever known and am finding much solace in reading. My husband and I got married in May. By July we had made arrangements to move to a new county, I resigned from my professional job in August, and THEN found out that I'm pregnant with a honeymoon baby!!

Fortunately, my husband's new business is very successful and I do not need to work, but at age 32 it is a difficult adjustment to make (especially since I've been working at least part time since age 16).

I've always read a lot of fantasy but find myself not in the mood for that right now. My newly discovered maternal instincts are screaming for some drama; some tumultuous family crisis stories, perhaps. But I have no clue what may satiate that interest...

I'm hoping to find some suggestions in these forums.

Thanks!

Wow, congratz on everything; the marriage, the pregnancy, the prosperous business, and, last but not least, the joining of the greatest Boards on the Dub'ya, Dub'ya, Dub'ya!!

Cheers

Welcome, Melissa, and congratulations on everything. I know of a book that just might be what you need. The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. When you read it, have a couple of tissues. Don't worry, it's not some dry diatribe about bees ;) , it's a coming of age story of a southern girl during the civil rights era.

here at the book forum your children will be safe from kidnappings and will not be sold to south american prostituion rings where they will spend the next twenty years of their lives in homo-erotic slavery. that's the book forum promise.

Feel Good Reads

I take spells about my reading, however, if a book really touches me thru the characters or the plot, I keep those books.

these are some of my favorites because the plots, the characters and story line left me feeling good.

TIM........lady wrote the thornbirds and the only reason I read TIM was because it was the only book in the house at Mom's I hadn't read and I was temporarily stuck....I thought....this sounds so dumb ...but I am without and that is not good. I have read it, kept it, loaned it and reread it and will read it again.......It is unusual, but so well handled it is just great reading.

PUMPKIN ROLLERS.....by Elmer Kelton........he has won awards for his writing and this is a story about a young fellow back in the pioneer days when fellows having no hope for a future went west......this young boy leaves home headed west with one cow he worked hard to earn to start his herd.
His adventures and the characters he meets are so real you think you are right there with him....and young as he is he finds his mate for life.....Elmer Kelton is a winner......I have collected his books since I tried that one.

MORNING GLORY.......Lavaryl Spencer.......Loved it and still enjoy rereading it....It is the story of a young widow...pregnant....who is up against it during the depression days pre world war II......A movie was made of it but the movie could not capture the warmth and the characters ......this is a love story, a mystery and a murder mystery with characters you will hate to leave.

Catherine Cookson is a prolific writer whose books I collect and reread......Some movies for public television I have seen.......THE GLASS VIRGIN, FEATHERS IN THE FIRE, THE DWELLING PLACE......there is a bunnnnch......but don't get the ones published within the last five years because I think when she died someone picked up some of her notes and tried to copy or finish her stories.......

Catherine Cooksons books are a little heavier than the first I mentioned but she was a superb writer and I found myself so involved with ther plots and characters I hated to leave them as well.

Hope these give you a start.......I read so much that often I go to the library or used book stores if I want to keep a copy....and then there is EBAY...where I have found bunches of reading material....I just typed in the authors names in the "search box" and clicked.

Melissa said:
I just wanted to take a moment and say "Hello!" to everyone and introduce myself!

Over the course of 2 months I have found my life COMPLETELY changed from everything I've ever known and am finding much solace in reading. My husband and I got married in May. By July we had made arrangements to move to a new county, I resigned from my professional job in August, and THEN found out that I'm pregnant with a honeymoon baby!!

Fortunately, my husband's new business is very successful and I do not need to work, but at age 32 it is a difficult adjustment to make (especially since I've been working at least part time since age 16).

I've always read a lot of fantasy but find myself not in the mood for that right now. My newly discovered maternal instincts are screaming for some drama; some tumultuous family crisis stories, perhaps. But I have no clue what may satiate that interest...

I'm hoping to find some suggestions in these forums.

Thanks!
Welcome :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome!!

I have just finished the last of my "obligated reads" to family & friends this morning and now am heading to the library with a list of books/authors that your posts have interested me in... the problem now becomes which one first!!

You're a great bunch and I'm glad I found you!

Back