• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

News story - Burning books

RAC42

kickbox
Here is a news story I found about a used bookstore owner burning his books in a kind of protest about declining sales.

Sorry if it is too long, I don't have enough posts yet, so I am not able to just put in the link.

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (AP) -- Tom Wayne amassed thousands of books in a warehouse during the 10 years he has run his used book store, Prospero's Books.

His collection ranges from best sellers like Tom Clancy's "The Hunt for Red October" and Tom Wolfe's "Bonfire of the Vanities," to obscure titles like a bound report from the Fourth Pan-American Conference held in Buenos Aires in 1910. But wanting to thin out his collection, he found he couldn't even give away books to libraries or thrift shops, which said they were full.

So on Sunday, Wayne began burning his books protest what he sees as society's diminishing support for the printed word.

"This is the funeral pyre for thought in America today," Wayne told spectators outside his bookstore as he lit the first batch of books.

The fire blazed for about 50 minutes before the Kansas City Fire Department put it out because Wayne didn't have a permit to burn them.

Wayne said next time he will get a permit. He said he envisions monthly bonfires until his supply -- estimated at 20,000 books -- is exhausted.

"After slogging through the tens of thousands of books we've slogged through and to accumulate that many and to have people turn you away when you take them somewhere, it's just kind of a knee-jerk reaction," he said. "And it's a good excuse for fun."

Wayne said he has seen fewer customers in recent years as people more often get their information from television or the Internet. He pointed to a 2002 study by the National Endowment for the Arts, that found that less than half of adult respondents reported reading for pleasure, down from almost 57 percent in 1982.

Kansas City has seen the number of used bookstores decline in recent years and there are few independent bookstores left in town, said Will Leathem, a co-owner of Prospero's Books.

"There are segments of this city where you go to an estate sale and find five TVs and three books," Leathem said.

Dozens of customers took advantage of the Sunday's book-burning, searching through those waiting to go into the fire for last-minute bargains.

Mike Bechtel paid $10 for a stack of books, including an antique collection of children's literature, which he said he'd save for his 4-year-old son.

"I think given the fact it is a protest of people not reading books, it's the best way to do it," Bechtel said. "(Wayne has) made the point that not reading a book is as good as burning it."

Burning books to protest that less people (he says) are reading is akin to crashing cars into a wall to protest the fact that too many people are bad drivers...(lol)

If he isn't making it, that means he sucks at what he supposedly does best-selling books. There are other people who are good at it and who succeed against the big retail chain establishments. Heck, other places are expanding even. Its actually a good thing that businesses go under-it leaves the leaner and more efficient ones around for consumers to enjoy. If you can't please the consumer-you deserve to go under.

I can see his point about drawing attention to the fact that reading books is on the decline, but there must be a better way. If you want more people to read, destroying books isn't going to help.

Although burning books is extreme, and I would rather that he did something else with them, or ran a more successful business, there are two segments from the article I found especially fascinating.

First:

"he couldn't even give away books to libraries or thrift shops, which said they were full"

And:

"(Wayne has) made the point that not reading a book is as good as burning it."

However, I thought this was a little irritating:

"And it's a good excuse for fun."

But... but... but... the books... burning... the books...

There are so many things he could have done with those books. Adverts for free books? Take them to a jumble sale? Bookcrossing? Homeless shelters? Care homes? Hand them to people? Sell them on Ebay? Give them to us?! Burning them is just wrong, no matter what the excuse. :(

Here is a statement from the owners of the bookstore who did the burning.

Their website address is: prosperosbookstore.com if you want to check it out yourselves.

For ten years Prospero’s Books has been in the front lines of the literary arts, both as a bookseller and as a publisher.
As a used bookseller, we have put our money where our hearts are – surrendering our hours and our revenues to sharing the world of books and, more importantly, the ideas they contain with anyone who would listen.

During these ten years we have seen reading decline dramatically. The National endowment of for Arts study on literary literacy in America which painfully highlighted the rapid decline of reading in America. In our own community, we’ve watched as bookstore after bookstore has folded.

Yesterday, we performed an act of art – a wakeup call to all who value books and ideas. Over the last 10 years, Prospero’s Books has 20,000 books we’ve collected that people simply will not read. We receive hundreds more each week.

At Prospero’s we fundamentally believe that the literary arts are not dead. We believe that there is still much about the human condition and our time still needing to be said. In so saying, we challenge you to get involved in two ways:

1. email these stories to your friends
2. call your local TV, radio, newspaper, blogs, etc. and tell them what is going on
3. For $1 a book (+ postage), you can save these books from the flame. We will not take these $s as profit, but will use them to publish new books.

Many of you have great ideas regarding what can be done with these books that’s better than burning them – we agree with you, and encourage YOU to get involved in sharing the gift of literature. For $1 a book + postage, you can support your local school, prison, etc.

If we are going to again place a spotlight on the importance of books and reading, we need Your help! This is bigger than two bookstore owners in Kansas City.

My greatest fear is that as a culture, we may be beyond saving the books.

We appreciate that you have joined what we hope will become a national dialogue about the importance of books. Thank you.

Sincere Regards,

Prospero’s Bookstore
Will Leathem
Tom Wayne

These people don't seem to know exactly what they're talking about..

...two ways:

1. email these stories to your friends
2. call your local TV, radio, newspaper, blogs, etc. and tell them what is going on

Yeah, that's one of the first things I noticed. Two ways to get invovled, but three things listed. Wondering if it was a typo or what. If they are book publishers as well, they need a better proof reader. :rolleyes:

it still makes me ticked off...books are like my favorite things ARH! i wrote an essay on books in themselves one time and UGH UGH UGH i just get so frustraited when ppl burn books! makes me want to cry i mean, i would just love to have them...like, honestly. i dont think they looked enough. i mean, the internet? there was absolutly nothing. no one. on the WHOLE ENTIRE internet who would take free books? FREE?!!!! NEW!! :O i take used anything i mean whatever...thats just...ok i can go on i'll better stop now i just still cant believe it...

I'm not kidding. I was in the area and the bookstore I worked for had flyers for it. So, I went. I was there. It actually wasn't THAT awesome. There were these huge boxes of books and every book was $1. Most of them were non-fiction things I've never heard of, but there was a hardback edition of THE STAND that I would have bought expect for the fact that I got it as a gift the week before. Ironic. My family did end up saving a guide to writing though. The fire burned for about 40 minutes, and then the fire trucks showed up. It was quite odd. They used this huge firehose to put out this little fire in a contained cauldron. They kept the water on for about 3 minutes until the cauldron was overflowing.
I understand how some of you think that burning books is wrong but I believe that the statement they made was really good. I mean, we wouldn't be talking about it if it hadn't had some effect. The bookstore I work for is independent and it's one of the best around the KC area. But it still struggles to stay ahead. And Prospero's is a simply awesome place. They routinely have poetry readings and all sorts of events. Every local KC person knows that if you need a quality used bookstore-Prospero's is the way to go. Yet it's still struggling. I think it can depend on the quality of the bookstore, yet not all the time.
These bookstores need to do something 'way out there' to get attention and that's all they were doing.
;) Peace!

I'm not kidding. I was in the area and the bookstore I worked for had flyers for it. So, I went. I was there.

I understand how some of you think that burning books is wrong but I believe that the statement they made was really good. I mean, we wouldn't be talking about it if it hadn't had some effect.

And Prospero's is a simply awesome place. They routinely have poetry readings and all sorts of events. Every local KC person knows that if you need a quality used bookstore-Prospero's is the way to go. Yet it's still struggling.

Very good to have an eyewitness account, and I'm glad to hear this wasn't just a publicity stunt by a poorly run business.

I think for us on this forum the love of books is great enough that we would be willing to house most of the burned books even though libraries wouldn't, but we are a little "strange".

I still like the opinion that not reading a book is about the same as burning it. Essentially, an intellectually stunted culture burns books everyday.

Actually, libraries trash a lot of books. When I worked at a library I spent the better part of a morning prepping-for-recycling books that wouldn't sell off the discard sale shelf (this involved de-cover-atating them). I was weeping.

Back