• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Next?

Which book will I read next?

• Total voters

Martin

Right. I'm almost done with Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake, which I am very much enjoying. I'm about a hundred pages from the end, and that usually is the time I start thinking of what my next book will be. But this time. I'll let you guys decide.

You can see the options above, but I will give some extra info on all four books right here.
  • Iain Banks - The Crow Road: From its bravura opening onwards, The Crow Road is justly regarded as an outstanding contemporary novel. 'It was the day my grandmother exploded. I sat in the crematorium, listening to my Uncle Hamish quietly snoring in harmony to Bach's Mass in B Minor, and I reflected that it always seemed to be death that drew me back to Gallanach.' Prentice McHoan has returned to the bosom of his complex but enduring Scottish family. Full of questions about the McHoan past, present and future, he is also deeply preoccupied: mainly with death, sex, drink, God and illegal substances.
  • Jasper Fforde - The Eyre Affair: There is another 1985, somewhere in the could-have-been, where the Crimean war still rages, dodos are regenerated in home-cloning kits and everyone is deeply disappointed by the ending of 'Jane Eyre'. In this world there are no jet-liners or computers, but there are policemen who can travel across time, a Welsh republic, a great interest in all things literary - and a woman called Thursday Next.
    In this utterly original and wonderfully funny first novel, Fforde has created a fiesty, loveable heroine and a plot of such richness and ingenuity that it will take your breath away.
  • Italo Calvino - Cosmicomics: This is an account of the universe as a cosmic joke, surreal random fiction. Ofwfq is like matter - he can be neither created nor destroyed. In 1000 diverse shapes and peculiar forms he has fitted, spiralled and plodded through every strange change or evolution. This is his account.
  • Neil Gaiman - American Gods: After three years in prison, Shadow has done his time. But as the time until his release ticks away, he can feel a storm brewing. Two days before he gets out, his wife Laura dies in a mysterious car crash, in adulterous circumstances. Dazed, Shadow travels home, only to encounter the bizarre Mr Wednesday claiming to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America. Together they embark on a very strange journey across the States, along the way solving the murders which have occurred every winter in one small American town. But the storm is about to break... Disturbing, gripping and profoundly strange, Gaiman's epic new novel sees him on the road to the heart of America.
If you vote for one over the other, please try to motivate your choice best you can.

So, which will it be?!

Cheers

Ps: Fellow Moderators - don't move this thread to 'General Book Discussion', yet. I think it will get the most traffic here.

Just read The Eyre Affair already :) You've been talking about it forever.

But thanks for posting your list, I think I might check out cosmicomics, myself. Looks interesting...

Cosmicomics is also on my to-read list. It came very highly recommended, including a favorable comparison to Pynchon. Don't know when I'll get to it -- my to-read list just keeps getting longer.

Irene Wilde

Irene Wilde said:
...my to-read list just keeps getting longer.

Irene Wilde

Mine, too....I'll never live long enough to read all the books on my ever-growing list (mostly because it grows faster than I can read the books).

I voted for cosmicomics, but I'm curious ... why are you inclined to have other people decide this stuff for you, martin?

Read American Gods. I have it on my bookshelf. When you read to finish and let me know what do you think. Let one book win (I hope this book win!!) :D

With a name like mine you just know what I'm going to say!! Read Eyre Affair and then be ready to go and buy Lost in a Good Book to go with your Well of Lost Plots!!

Thursday Next, living in the 'real world' can enter fictional works. She meets all sorts of characters and if you've read the books too, even better! In one of the books, Heathcliff and other Wuthering Heights characters attend anger management classes. And Fforde offers an alternative reason to explain Heathcliff's missing years! What more do I need to say?! Read it!!!!

ThursdayNext

Calvino is in the lead, bt I haven't had time to finish Oryx and Crake yet, so I'll keep this poll open for one or two more days.

Vote!!

... why are you inclined to have other people decide this stuff for you, Martin?
Because it's always hard for me to decide on which book I'll read next. Why not delegate?

Cheers

I love, love, love American Gods, but I voted for The Eyre Affair as I'm very curious about it.

Back