• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Nick Bantock: Griffin And Sabine: An Extraordinary Correspondence

Wabbit

I heard about Griffin and Sabine in a thread with somebody looking for the book in book search. The book very unusual and interesting so I had to buy it!

It's a 46 page hardback that tells the strange correspondence between Griffin ( of London ) and the mysterious Sabine ( of the Simon Islands ). The unusual nature of the book is in that each page contains a colourful postcard illustration with writing on the back of it. The book also contains actual envelopes which open to reveal a folded letter which you can read. Through the medium of postcards and letters their story unfolds.

The art is gorgeous. It arrived last week, but I held myself back till the weekend so I could devour it slowly in the sun. It was delicious! I really enjoyed the book a lot... and the bastard let me on a such a cliff hanger! Now I have just had to order the second part of the trilogy of books from Amazon... should not really... but I can not resist it!!!

I think you will like it and especially as you are interested in things artistic :) If you go to Amazon you can look inside the book and see some of the illustrations!

I loved this series of books and got a steal at my local used bookstore. (I think I got all three for like $15 USD.)

The story is tender and curious. And I loved the tactile side to it - it felt like I was snooping on an old friend, as if I were opening letters found tucked in a dresser drawer.

It is absolutely lovely.

A friend told me about this series. I definitely need to add it to my must purchase list. I love the idea of unfolding the letters and looking on the back of postcards.

cool, hope you like! Gonna read the second one Sabine's notebook this weekend! I suppose when I finish it that I will be going to order the next one :D

I picked up the first one today and it is lovely, I love the post cards and the story is intriguing. Now I kinda wish I had a pen pal like that. Thanks for bringing it to our attention Wabbit :)

Did you know?

Did you know there are 6 of them? They were advertised as a trilogy but there are 6 listed that I've found 1)Griffin & Sabine, 2)Sabine's Notebook. 3) The Golden Mean, 4) The Gryphon, 5)Alexandria and 6)The Morning Star.

Hi Ronny, you are welcome! Glad that you liked them! :) Actually it was Jenn that named them originally in another thread after somebody was looking in book search so I guess we both owe her some thanks!

It's great isn't it? I love the art work. The cards are really beautiful and interesting. You know, I thought exactly the same as you! I wish I had a pen pal like that! It would be great to have a pen pal where you correspond via post cards from other countries. How cool would that be?

The story is great. It ended on such a cliff hanger!

I just read the second one Griffin's notebook! Now I have to get the third. Thanks for reminding me! I will order that today.

Yeah, I knew there were more :) Apparently he wrote this first 3 and then some years later came to write the other three. So as far as I understand it, there are two trilogies.

I will get them all :D

Which ones do you have? The first three?

I only have the first one but I was ordering the other 2 when I discovered that there were 3 more. I will now probably have to get all 6 but my budget can only handle so much at a time :)

Yeah mine too! I just got the first one and then it ended and I was NOOOOOOOO! Don't do that! I'm getting them one at a time. That way, I can delude myself that I am not spending that much money :D

I did go with slightly used to save some money and I'm hoping to make some extra spending money this weekend, then maybe I can order the last 3. I love the first one :)

I read the second one this weekend, it was just as good as the first and just as mysterious and left you with just as much of a cliff hanger too.

I read the third one today and it was my favorite of the three, it had the best illistrations in it I think.

I also picked up the Artful Dodger, Images & Reflections by Nick Bantock at my library and it covers Nick's art including the Griffin & Sabine books. He talks about his creative process and points out some of the symbols he used in his illustrations. I though it was pretty interesting :)

Back